Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisted--Should I Do A Masters?

Hi everyone!

I've been waitlisted at UBC..But I had also applied to a masters program this year as a back-up option.

I wanted to do the masters (in Occupational therapy) to hopefully bump up my GPA (~86%), get some experience, and re-apply again to med in 2019 (which means I won't be able to start med till 2020, assuming I get in).

I didn't expect to get waitlisted..this gives me the sense that I'm possibly a competitive applicant. Now I'm confused if I should put off the masters and re-apply to med this cycle (assuming I don't get off the waitlist) or not take the risk and do the masters and reapply in 2 years.

Any advice or thoughts?

Thank you kindly!

Is it required to finish a grad program once started for ubc med?

I'd say start it, if rejected, and then if accepted next year you could leave the program... but if you have to complete the masters then I'm not sure... how was your NAQ? Can you improve that? How many times have you applied? (Have you heard it takes three times to apply on average to gain an acceptance?)

^ can confirm, OP has to finish the Masters degree first before being able to qualify as an applicant again.

If I were you, I'd take the one year off to improve in NAQ. If you don't get in that cycle, then your next option could be the Masters to help your GPA (but no guarantee a Masters is easy - have you looked up course averages on UBC PAIR for this program?)

At the end of the day, you know yourself the best. Good luck!

Archived