Premed 101 Forums

Advice On What Steps I Should Take

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

Back in the 2015/2016 cycle, I applied with a 31 MCAT to USMD and USDO schools, though admittedly I applied late to MD. I was accepted, ultimately, to MU-COM in Indiana.

However, I was not able to secure LoC funding (TD and CIBC denied us on the count of my mother not having recent paystubs, she has been on medical leave from her job as a nurse. Currently still is, as well).

I was fortunate to get a deferral to this year.

During that application cycle, as well, I re-took my MCAT and scored 515 (130 CARS). I again applied to USMD schools, though too few and late to receive anything. I did apply to CanMD schools, and received one interview at UWO, from which I as rejected (this past Tuesday).

I am now at a state of loss on what I should do. Going to medical school in the US is extremely costly, and the financial burden that I would be placing on my family concerns me greatly (what if the loonie fell even more?). On the other hand, it is a guaranteed path to becoming a physician.

I am not sure what to do, really. Go USDO, and re-apply as I do first year? Go for another career?

If anyone here can PM me, I would appreciate someone to discuss this with.

Thank you

I'm not going to PM in case someone in the future reads this and has a similar question. What are your career goals? Without knowing anything about your application, it seems you are not competitive for Canada or USMD. Your options therefore are USDO or IMG MD. At this point both will have strengths and weaknesses, but I don't think you'd be better off doing MD internationally. USMD will cost just as much as USDO. You'll have to figure out if this is worth it if you're considering another career.

I'm not going to PM in case someone in the future reads this and has a similar question. What are your career goals? Without knowing anything about your application, it seems you are not competitive for Canada or USMD. Your options therefore are USDO or IMG MD. At this point both will have strengths and weaknesses, but I don't think you'd be better off doing MD internationally. USMD will cost just as much as USDO. You'll have to figure out if this is worth it if you're considering another career.

OP mentioned he already had an interview at Western (although he was refused).  Moreover, with their solid CARS score, the OP should have a shot at McMaster even with a lower cGPA (provided OP can get a good CASPER).

OP - it seems like you have a MCAT score which could continue to be competitive at Western - the big issue was the interview.  Did you exhaust every avenue in preparing for the interview?  Panel interviews especially can be trained for using question banks and feedback, for example.  You've already had one interview in Ontario, which is probably the most competitive province in Canada.  At this point, you can try at least one more application cycle in Canada and hopefully improve all aspects of your application.  Maybe could ask for an unusual second deferral?  

You will have to decide whether the US is feasible and worth the expense.  But, it's far from an uncommon situation to have to go through multiple application cycles in Canada.  

I know how this feels. I ran out of patience with Canada and am going to be attending a US MD school this coming August. 

You are competitive for Canadian schools and as the above poster said, it isn't uncommon to apply multiple times. For US schools, you must apply early (June) and to ALL of them to which you are eligible for - it is the only way to guarantee at least a few interviews and subsequent offers. Moreover, because you would be international, I hope you have a good story for those personal statements and interview - they love that. 

Medical school is expensive and more so when you have to spend in USD. Have you spoken with you family on this matter? It is important to have this support from them because you will be taking up to 500K CAD to fund your degree in the US. 

PM if you want specific advice.

He has applied twice to Canada and US and had one interview which he was not successful with. He has a good MCAT but he has posted nothing about his GPA or ECs, or commented if he has been working on improving them. If he has not been working on improving his application he is going to get diminishing returns.

OP: For sure, if you can improve your application your best bet by far is Canadian MD. We need more information about your application to be able to comment if that is worth giving up your DO. Please be aware that if you do give up your DO now, you have to declare that on any applications you do in the future for USMD or USDO, and according to the studentdoctor forums that will make it very unlikely that you will get another acceptance to USMD or DO. Although Canadian schools and international schools will not care.

OP is competitive at UWO, based on the fact they got interview.  It has yet to be seen, but it doesnt look like they are competitive at other schools currently.  

The situation doesn't look like they are giving up on USDO, its that they simply do not have funds (not securing LOC).. which is the issue here.

OP is competitive at UWO, based on the fact they got interview.  It has yet to be seen, but it doesnt look like they are competitive at other schools currently.  

The situation doesn't look like they are giving up on USDO, its that they simply do not have funds (not securing LOC).. which is the issue here.

The OP deferred his acceptance to a USDO until this year.  

Possibly a deferral could be extended?  Otherwise the above poster mentioned it's a mark against him on future applications.  

The OP's CARS score should give him a shot at Mac at least.    

Archived