Premed 101 Forums

Really Don't Know What To Do? Hoping For Some Honest Feeback.

Hey everyone,

I recently got back my final mark in a full year physiology course where it dropped from an 89 to and 84. The GPA for my 3rd year at Western University as a result dropped from 3.92 to 3.88. Overall my GPA breakdown over the 3 years thus far is:

1st Year: 3.87

1st year summer: 4.0 (1 credit)

2nd Year: 3.89

3rd Year: 3.88 (was 3.92)

Due to this 1% difference from an 84 to 85 the GPA for each med school dropped, where I don't even think I can apply to them anymore.

Mac cGPA= 3.89 ; Ottawa wGPA = 3.88 ; Queens/Western = 3.89; UofT wGPA = 3.925

My ECs are average and I will be writing the MCAT this summer, but I'm starting to wonder if there is any point to it all. I feel that at below 3.9 my chances at Ottawa are killed. Can anyone advise me on what schools to apply to? Thanks again.

I don't know for sure but I've gotten the sense that anything below a 3.90 isn't really competitive for Ottawa unfortunately. However, I was just accepted to Western with a 2 year GPA of 3.81! If you meet their MCAT cut off scores and do well in the interview, you definitely have a shot here :)

Hey everyone,

I recently got back my final mark in a full year physiology course where it dropped from an 89 to and 84. The GPA for my 3rd year at Western University as a result dropped from 3.92 to 3.88. Overall my GPA breakdown over the 3 years thus far is:

1st Year: 3.87

1st year summer: 4.0 (1 credit)

2nd Year: 3.89

3rd Year: 3.88 (was 3.92)

Due to this 1% difference from an 84 to 85 the GPA for each med school dropped, where I don't even think I can apply to them anymore.

Mac cGPA= 3.89 (was 3.90); Ottawa wGPA = 3.88 (was 3.9041) ; Queens/Western = (3.885 was 3.905); UofT wGPA = 3.925 (was 3.94)

My ECs are average and I will be writing the MCAT this summer, but I'm starting to wonder if there is any point to it all. I feel that at below 3.9 my chances at Ottawa and the other schools are killed. Should I just plan to apply to out of Canada and give up on the Ontario applications. I just feel so distraught and upset. Also has anyone ever been successful in getting a prof to bump up a grade by 1% and have any advice on how to approach it? Thanks again.

I had a lower two year GPA than that and I still got an interview at Western. if you do well on your MCAT you'll be fine. your grades are super good, worrying that much about such a minor drop is just being neurotic, take a couple of breaths, and then refocus, you're still in good shape

Archived