Premed 101 Forums

Disadvantages As A Medical Student With No Bachelors Degree?

Hi !

I've been admitted into U of T's medical school in my year 3 of undergrad, so I won't graduate with a BSc.

Will I be disadvantaged in any way when applying for research, shadowing, and even residency? Or in any other aspects?

Any insight would greatly be appreciated!!

Well hundreds of Quebec students go into med school as their first step in a university setting, but I don't know how things work outside of Quebec.

My take is that any incredibly minor disadvantages would in absolutely no way make someone consider not going straight into medical school. Only thing I have ever found was for assessment of your education in those few places for CARMS that look at your UG.  

My take is that any incredibly minor disadvantages would in absolutely no way make someone consider not going straight into medical school. Only thing I have ever found was for assessment of your education in those few places for CARMS that look at your UG.  

Would you mind expanding on what CARMS places might look at your undergrad? Is it certain programs or schools for example?  (I have a humanities undergrad, so I might want to know if I need to put in some extra work in medical school in case I want to pursue certain specialties)

Hi !

I've been admitted into U of T's medical school in my year 3 of undergrad, so I won't graduate with a BSc.

Will I be disadvantaged in any way when applying for research, shadowing, and even residency? Or in any other aspects?

You'll seem young.. but accomplished.

Would you mind expanding on what CARMS places might look at your undergrad? Is it certain programs or schools for example? (I have a humanities undergrad, so I might want to know if I need to put in some extra work in medical school in case I want to pursue certain specialties)

Radiology is the classic example. Most specialties/programs don't want to see your undergrad transcript because it's pretty irrelevant.

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, justwannabeadoc said:

What about if you plan to do a Master's or PhD after your MD?

At McGill, medical students without a bachelor's degree interested in concurrently earning a research degree can only enlist in the MD/MSc stream, whereas the others can enlist in the MD/PhD stream. As for earning your research degree after medical school, I have no idea (I assume it's on a case-by-case basis by the graduate department).

Scep

On 2017-05-19 at 9:58 AM, music_tunes21 said:

Hi !

You'll be fine. A few of my classmates got into UofT's medical school after 3 years too, and they all matched to their top choice specialties (even Neurosurgery).

Archived