Premed 101 Forums

3 hours ago, Scorbix said:

This backpack colour has nothing to do with any racial issues, so don't try to start something when no one has made any mention about race, gender, etc. If you want to talk about the history of Canada, then bring it up in an appropriate thread. I acknowledge that a lot of bad things have happened in the history of the development of Canada, but this thread has literally NOTHING to do with that. Please take your unnecessary comments elsewhere.

Needlessly agressive response to a very good point that you just dismissed as "unnecessary" because you might disagree with it or its importance. Perhaps you are the one who should take your unnecessary comments elsewhere.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SunAndMoon said:

Needlessly agressive response to a very good point that you just dismissed as "unnecessary" because you might disagree with it or its importance. Perhaps you are the one who should take your unnecessary comments elsewhere.

If you wish to know my feelings about a component of Canada's history, I would suggest that you ask me rather than making quick assumptions simply because my earlier comment may have offended you, or may have been different than yours.

As someone who has worked with Indigenous populations both as a medical student and in my past as both a medical professional and a student, I am no stranger to the plight and suffering that certain populations have experienced. What I have a problem with is someone trying to start an inappropriate conversation (inappropriate within the context of the topic of this thread) when it has no place here - again, in this particular thread. Moreover, I also take issue when someone tries to make a social issue about every little thing in society; I am of the opinion that we should focus on issues that are here and now (e.g. Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Calls to Action) rather than needlessly worrying about the colours on a backpack and how some people might "feel" about it. I would have just the same if someone suggested that the backpack be brown because the Mayflower was made of wood and wood is usually brown. If someone wishes to discuss Canadian history, then fine, do so; just do it in the right thread(s).

Really? It's just a backpack, I think you are overreacting.

7 hours ago, catchlynall said:

What if the backpacks aren't red?

With all the hype around Canada 150 this year, we can easily forget to acknowledge that indigenous peoples have been on this land way way longer than 150 years. Canada becoming "Canada" is not a thing to be unilaterally celebrated for everyone. We have a long history of racism, residential schools, and cultural genocide that goes hand in hand with the birth of our nation.

I think the backpacks will be red, but what if they weren't? What if acknowledging Canada's not so bright and shiny history is the reason why? I think that would be pretty great.

4 hours ago, Scorbix said:

If you wish to know my feelings about a component of Canada's history, I would suggest that you ask me rather than making quick assumptions simply because my earlier comment may have offended you, or may have been different than yours.

As someone who has worked with Indigenous populations both as a medical student and in my past as both a medical professional and a student, I am no stranger to the plight and suffering that certain populations have experienced. What I have a problem with is someone trying to start an inappropriate conversation (inappropriate within the context of the topic of this thread) when it has no place here - again, in this particular thread. Moreover, I also take issue when someone tries to make a social issue about every little thing in society; I am of the opinion that we should focus on issues that are here and now (e.g. Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Calls to Action) rather than needlessly worrying about the colours on a backpack and how some people might "feel" about it. I would have just the same if someone suggested that the backpack be brown because the Mayflower was made of wood and wood is usually brown. If someone wishes to discuss Canadian history, then fine, do so; just do it in the right thread(s).

I won't derail the thread any further (hence why I did not "ask" you about your feelings on any given issue), so this will be my last contribution. 

I made no assumption whatsoever. It is indeed true that you dismissed their post because you thought it was unnecessary  as you did indeed consider it was unimportant  

I applaud you for your involvement, however that does not absolve you when making insensitive and needlessly rude comments. 

There are indigenous physicians, and indigenous medical students. How they might reasonably (notice the might, that will ensure you don't throw empty accusations of assumptions on my part) feel about this particular issue and the celebration of Canada's existence and history is relevant, and is important to note and keep in mind. 

6 hours ago, SunAndMoon said:

I won't derail the thread any further (hence why I did not "ask" you about your feelings on any given issue), so this will be my last contribution. 

I made no assumption whatsoever. It is indeed true that you dismissed their post because you thought it was unnecessary  as you did indeed consider it was unimportant  

I applaud you for your involvement, however that does not absolve you when making insensitive and needlessly rude comments. 

There are indigenous physicians, and indigenous medical students. How they might reasonably (notice the might, that will ensure you don't throw empty accusations of assumptions on my part) feel about this particular issue and the celebration of Canada's existence and history is relevant, and is important to note and keep in mind. 

It's not insensitive nor rude to point out the simple FACT that the backpack colour has nothing to do with Canadian history. It's amazing how you people work yourselves up over something so trivial. 

I think you're completely missing the point, @MountainAmboeba. No one is saying that the issues Indigenous people face isn't important. This thread is made to speculate the colour of a backpack. That's it. Trying to make the colour of a backpack relate in some way to Canada's history is trying to start conflict when there shouldn't be. If someone wants to talk about Canadian history, take it somewhere more appropriate. End of story.

As for the safe space comment (and this comment is not aimed at any one particular person), this is the internet. The internet is not, and should not, be a "safe space". If you want a safe space, make one on campus. Similarly, the real world is also not, and should not be a safe space. The joy about having the freedom of speech is being able to say things that others disagree with. If you're so bothered by a comment that someone has made, maybe the problem isn't that person; maybe it's you.

I know this has gone out of proportion already, but I do think the original comment could be posed without this backlash. As you say @Scorbix this is the internet and we have freedom of speech. If there is a discussion to be had about Canada's history and a red backpack (whether a connection exists or not), I think it should be free to happen. Telling people not to discuss here because it may not match a defined scope seemed irrelevant. Also, if the backpack is red many will see it as symbolizing Canada's 150. And the statement was just speculating the colour not being red and their interpretation of that. Maybe others will not interpret it that way, but thats OK.  I think the original statement by @catchlynall wasn't meant purely to start conflict and is fine to leave without being told to "take this somewhere else". 

I dunno, just my opinion. 

Hey everyone,

I decided not to comment after reading that first response to see what everyone else thought. Personally, I thought the comment was a bit aggressive and was taken aback, so I wanted to see where everyone else fell on this subject.

I wasn't trying to "start something" - I wanted to open up a conversation. As for this being in the wrong thread, I'd be happy for you to point me to a more appropriate thread for a conversation like this, but I thought speculation about backpack colour is an appropriate place to ask these questions/talk about this. I understand that it's a lighthearted thread.

I get that it's just a backpack. My point was that if they're making the backpack red for Canada 150, then we are linking these two unrelated ideas together. If we are linking, then what if they weren't red, and the reason was as I've said above - that not all people see Canada 150 as something to be unilaterally celebrated.

I'm not apologizing for opening up a conversation that I think is important. Again, if there is a more appropriate place for things like this, please point me there.

I personally found it to be an interesting reminder. We can be proud and patriotic and still leave room to constructive autocriticism. Md Financial said the backpack was about the CMA's 150th anniversary, so I mean, in a way it is still linked to Canada's 150th celebrations. And CMA's history is also one of being involved with at-risk minorities. So I don't think it was that off subject, though I also understand why some might think it is. I'm actually more than surprised to see the reactions this has brought.

No one is being told that because you want a red backpack and/or because you want to celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary that you are being intransigeant to indigenous communities. It's merely a reminder and a way to bring awareness. If that doesn't interest you, fine just dont reply and post a comment on a different facette of the subject.

As for the restaurant analogy, well it is held in a private setting, whereas this forum is a public space where anyone can contribute in any way they see fit as long as they are being respectful. To be fair, there is no right place to talk about those kind of subjects. They will always make some people uncomfortable, or bore them, or annoy them, or kill their fun.

As for being involved with indigenous communities. That is a great and commendable act. I find that amazing. But it would be equally amazing to not discourage someone who tried to open a discussion about the social injustices they're living. I'm pretty sure they would be thankful for that too. 

And yes, it's just a backpack. Like it was just a seat in a bus, or just an apple that fell from a tree. From trivial objects can emerge amazing discoveries and history-changing events. I'm not saying this backpack is gonna start a revolution, but hey, if it can start a conversation on one, if not the most marginalized community in our country: it is a good thing. Telling someone that it isn't pertinent, that SJWs are invading again, that it should be discussed elsewhere, that it isn't about race/gender, that they are overreacting; well, it just stops all forms of debates. It's like taping someone's mouth and writing SJW on that tape. Anyone can be easily discredited and shushed like that, and change doesn't emerge without communication.  

Just because you don't want to be part of a conversation, that doesn't mean you have to prevent that conversation from happening. And even if you think the conversation should happen but elsewhere, there are respectful ways to say it. "Hey, you should create a thread about indingenous communities in Canada so you can have a more appropriate environment for that debate" is better suited than "take your unnecessary comments elsewhere", don't you think?

53 minutes ago, HalfBaked said:

And yes, it's just a backpack. Like it was just a seat in a bus, or just an apple that fell from a tree. From trivial objects can emerge amazing discoveries and history-changing events. I'm not saying this backpack is gonna start a revolution, but hey, if it can start a conversation on one, if not the most marginalized community in our country: it is a good thing. Telling someone that it isn't pertinent, that SJWs are invading again, that it should be discussed elsewhere, that it isn't about race/gender, that they are overreacting; well, it just stops all forms of debates. It's like taping someone's mouth and writing SJW on that tape. Anyone can be easily discredited and shushed like that, and change doesn't emerge without communication.  

YES! Say it LOUDER for the people in the back 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2017 at 2:31 PM, psycoforpsych said:

As your friendly neighbourhood Calgary first year, I got you guys ^_^ 

LEGOLAS, WHAT DO YOUR CALGARIAN EYES SEE?

Edit: okay wow I just now read the entire thread and realized how serious this got. Oops.

Archived