Premed 101 Forums

So I have been hired as a summer research student at a hospital with a renowned cardiologist. I am helping a doctor with their clinical research (dry lab - data entry) alongside a team of summer students. The problem is I am not very interested in this specialization and the work is somewhat dull. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful to have gotten this job, gained a greater appreciation for the doctor's specialization and, I even get to shadow surgeries. I have learned a few things in terms of anatomy, procedural success and failure, etc. I understand that research can be slow and is repetitive too, but this is all data entry. On top of that, I spent all last summer interning with him and working a part time job to show my loyalty as a student. Luckily, even got to co-author a paper (yeah I know, this isn't as big as being a primary author, but I am working on it).

Should I stay with this job next year - so I can put down that I worked with him for a while, hopefully learn more in this role and hopefully get a good reference letter? Or should I try to find a new research job that I find more interesting? Just don't know if being interested in research or showing your commitment to it is more important. I just finished my second year of undergrad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (not trying to whine here) 

If your goals are merely to publish, get a reference letter, and do what 'looks better', it sounds like you are doing research for all the wrong reasons. In my time as a PhD student I have supervised tons of summer students in a wet lab environment, and the ones who are successful generally don't stress about those things. 

It seems that you are implying you are considering quitting your job even though it only started in May (presumably). If you want a positive reference letter this is a bad move, especially if the prof finds out you are trying to find an alternate position. You have likely made a commitment for the summer, so you should see it through.

Based on your post, I would caution you to make sure you aren't portraying yourself as a 'box-checker'. For example, we had a summer student in our lab who was obsessed with publication output, what would look best for his med apps, etc. He even had the nerve to spend a large amount of his days studying for the MCAT while waiting on his experiments, instead of asking to assist with other projects or reading up on his own. Needless to say, it was obvious to everyone that he was there for the wrong reasons. He got a fairly luke-warm reference letter despite the fact his work was good for the most part. Just ensure you don't give the graduate students, lab personnel, or the prof the impression you are there simply to make it appear you are trying to show you are interested in or committed to research. Make the best of the summer by working hard, taking initiative, and learning as much as possible. The publications and letters will face into place from there.

If you tell lab members "oh I'm only here to check a box for medical school" that might just make it into your reference letter. 

@adhominem Thank you for this insight. I never really thought that is how I sounded, and now, I do feel a little sheepish for putting it that way, as I wanted to be as far from "that type of student" as possible. I just really want to work on something that I am interested in. I think now, I may be doing this specific research project for the wrong reason. I am definitely not trying to switch placements this summer. I would like to work at actually contributing to the project at hand and seeing if I can learn more/ develop more skills. 

Funny you mention a summer student spending majority of their time studying for the MCAT, as I have seen this happen in my lab. I will definitely take your advice and take more initiative in my current placement. Thank you for your perspective on this and thanks for your post, it is really appreciated. 

Archived