Premed 101 Forums

police check and vulnerable sector screening

Hi all,

im experiencing a really desperate situation. I'm recently admitted to schulich dental off the waitlist but it seems that I'm unable to meet the deadline for submitting police information checks and the vulnerable sector screening because of the processing time of my local police station. I have emailed the admission to explain this situation and they insisted the deadline to be met under whatever circumstances. 

The expedited services or online service is not available for vulnerable sector screening which is the major issue.

From the sound of it, it looks like I'm gonna lose my entry due to this documentation??? I cannot understand it because it doesn't seem to be my fault--- I was offered admission later. Now I know that I should have applied for it before offer reached. But no matter how much I have explained (eg. used a check that I applied 6months ago for now and supplement the newer one later, they rejected as well) they insisted the deadline. 

Have anyone experienced similar situation? Accepted off the waitlist late and cannot meet the deadline for police checks? What did they do for you? Am I really gonna lose my spot for this? 

Thank you all for help. 

well....that sounds a bit nuts. They weren't that strict before. 

First question - where are you and can you get to another police stations that DOES offer the faster service. No one said you had to get it at your local police station. It seems you can get it in Toronto for instance in 72 hours for an insane fee ha (well just over 100 dollars). Even their regular service is 10 days. 

when are they saying it is due?

Which deadline can you not make? July 1st or August 1st? It says in the post admission documents that if you cannot submit your police check by July 1st, you instead have to submit a Letter of Declaration that states you have a clean record prior to July 1st. This then gives you an extra month (until August 1st) to submit your police check and it says you cannot submit it any later than this date. Doesn't make sense to me because there have been many people in the past who are accepted off the waitlist in August. Anyway, seems massively unfair and as somebody still on the waitlist, it makes me very worried to hear this!

I'm in Winnipeg and the processing time is 8 weeks, which means that even I applied on the day I was offered, I may not meet the Aug 1 deadline unless I'm the lucky seed whose application got processed faster. I'm checking to see if the VS check alone without criminal record check can be processed in less time because I know the criminal record check by itself can.

Im willing to go to Toronto to have it done quicker, but I'm not sure if they can do it for me as I'm not resident in Toronto. Seems that VS check has to be through local police station but I hope I'm wrong. Does anyone know? 

My advice to the waitlistersis to apply for the document even if you haven't heard anything yet. But really?? I never ever thought that they would just withdraw me because of a circumstance that is out of my control

I would go and apply for the police check (at your local police station) ASAP just in case (unless you already have). Then look into getting checked at another police station elsewhere. I'm guessing you can have more than one police check being processed at once as long as they're at different branches (not 100% sure though). I'm going to phone admissions tomorrow to find out more about this, as I'm currently still on the HWL, and I'll post here what I find out.

EDIT: For anyone wondering, I'm not from Winnipeg also haha!

ok but 8 week is simply insane. I mean the school would have a very big point with that - they could in theory get the response in MID AUGUST - which very late if they have to find someone else (who then also needs a police check). The problem isn't really Schulich - the problem is you cannot take 2 months to get that kind of paperwork. I say again - that is just nuts. 

You can have an multiple ones on the go for sure. 

2 hours ago, Username2020 said:

I'm in Winnipeg and the processing time is 8 weeks, which means that even I applied on the day I was offered, I may not meet the Aug 1 deadline unless I'm the lucky seed whose application got processed faster. I'm checking to see if the VS check alone without criminal record check can be processed in less time because I know the criminal record check by itself can.

Im willing to go to Toronto to have it done quicker, but I'm not sure if they can do it for me as I'm not resident in Toronto. Seems that VS check has to be through local police station but I hope I'm wrong. Does anyone know? 

My advice to the waitlistersis to apply for the document even if you haven't heard anything yet. But really?? I never ever thought that they would just withdraw me because of a circumstance that is out of my control

Just checked as I am waitlisted myself. Criminal record checks are Canada-wide, but vulnerable sector screenings need to be requested locally, at least in Toronto.

8 weeks doesn't seem reasonable; maybe contact other branches (not sure if processing time is universal)?

I called admissions to ask some questions:

- She seemed to say that the situation is different for people accepted off the waitlist BEFORE vs AFTER July 1st

- If you get the call before July 1st, you must either submit your police check prior to July 1st, or submit a Letter of Declaration (that you have a clean record) in order to push the deadline back to August 1st. This then is a strict deadline that must be met, and she said they've never had any problems in the past with people meeting this deadline.

- If you get the call after July 1st, do not worry about anything until you receive a possible call. No need to submit a Letter of Declaration and your deadline is no longer August 1st if you cannot make it. She seemed to say they aren't as strict with people accepted after July 1st and to just get your stuff in as soon as possible. 

- She recommended that if you're on the HWL you should start looking into this now so that you're prepared if you do get the call

- She says that you're allowed to go to other police stations (non-local) if you are able to, but she said that sometimes they will not be able to accommodate you

- In terms of recency of police checks, she said they will accept one that was done at the time interviews were sent out (March 2017). So if you had one done in February 2017 that would not be valid.

Thank you Winnipeg9416 again! Looks like I got the call too early lol. It's really great to know their policy about the Aug 1 deadline. I will do all my efforts to make sure I meet it but if it's really something out of my power after all, hopefully they can understand it.

Archived