Premed 101 Forums

2018 Admissions- Should I submit my MCAT?

I'm applying for the first time to McGill and I don't know whether my MCAT scores will be a useful addition to my application or not 

I'm an in-province application, cGPA: 3.87, science GPA: 3.82, MSc GPA: 3.94, MCAT: Phys-126, CARS-127, Bio-125, Psych-127. I know that they say that your MCAT scores won't harm your application but I don't feel like they are particularly competitive or impressive and I would rather they look at my GPA. Any advice would be really helpful for a medical school application newbie! 

On 6/22/2017 at 8:28 AM, hopefulgradstudent said:

I'm applying for the first time to McGill and I don't know whether my MCAT scores will be a useful addition to my application or not 

I'm an in-province application, cGPA: 3.87, science GPA: 3.82, MSc GPA: 3.94, MCAT: Phys-126, CARS-127, Bio-125, Psych-127. I know that they say that your MCAT scores won't harm your application but I don't feel like they are particularly competitive or impressive and I would rather they look at my GPA. Any advice would be really helpful for a medical school application newbie! 

Also, keep in mind that McGill specifically looks at prereqGPA (biol 6cr, chem 6cr, orgchem 3cr, phys 6cr) rather than the broader "science GPA". When I applied ages ago, I submitted my MCAT results because I did much better than in my prereq courses. In your case, McGill notes that successful applicants score a prereqGPA of about 3.8 on average (source: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/selection-process/academic-evaluation) so I don't think there's an added benefit in submitting your MCAT score.

Then again, Haribo is correct in that McGill will only consider your MCAT scores if they boost your application (source: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements-edu/mcat) so I suggest you include them in your submission.

Scep

Edited by Sceptical
Addendum