Premed 101 Forums

Not sure which option to choose for 2nd gap year

So I've had a bit of good fortune in finding opportunities since the rejections rolled around in may. Currently, I have been accepted to a masters in medical biotechnology at the uofc (a 1-yr course based masters to start in fall). Also, I've been offered a full time lab position for ~40k/yr to start in july. For now, I know I want to work till sept. But once I reach that crossroads, I'm not sure if I should do the masters or stick with the job. Please let me know what you guys think is best, taking in to consideration my circumstances. Below is some info on where i stand in terms of med admissions competitiveness.

- graduated from B Sc in biology in 2016

- 24 yrs old. currently in a 2nd gap year

- cGPA: 3.92, mcat: 131/129/129/130

- ECs: below average - average for my age. varied employment thruout UG and post-UG, a few volunteer commitments (some long-term, some short-term), research project, sports (training and competitions), a decent number of academic awards

- I need work on interviews. I am improving year to year and actually this year I was somewhat close to average for some schools. But I still need to put in a lot of work here. 

I would personally go for the lab position, make some income as well as adding another component to the ECs since you believe that is your weak point. 

I do not see how a 1 year masters (coursebased) would help in this case, your GPA is already pretty good. 

So to sum it up, I would personally choose the full time position + do things you enjoy during off time to help build the ECs and practice interviewing.

Best of luck ! 

Agreed with above. If you know your weakness is on the EC/interview side do the lab position, and spend your spare time strengthening your interview skills and volunteering. Doing a course-based MSc will not leave you with much extra time to spend doing things outside your coursework.  

Archived