Premed 101 Forums

MCCQE 2 Preparation

Hello everyone,

A newly minted PGY 1 here. Realize it may be early to be looking ahead to MCCQE II, but would appreciate advice on how to prep for this exam, including relevant resources.

I want to start residency off with good habits/strategies that will keep intense, last-minute prep to a discrete minimum.

I also heard it's good to do USMLE Step 2 CS around the same time because they are similar. For those of you who've done Step 2 CS, how did you prep? Are there Step 2 CS-unique aspects vs. MCCQE II that one should watch for?

Thank you!

Step 2 CS is many times more difficult than QE2. Most of the stations are very medical/surgical oriented, whereas QE2 focus a lot more on preventive/family med type of scenarios. 

First Aid is all you need for CS.

Try to avoid Philadelphia, it's not a nice centre.

If you are in a specialty that doesn't really related to CS stuff (eg. radiology, path, ophtho, psych), it's best to get the QE2 CS and Step 3 out of the way ASAP. It's a huge pain in the ass to study the material in your later years. The opposite is that if you are in FM or IM, you'll find the tests a breeze when you're a senior resident.

7 hours ago, Taengoo said:

I also heard it's good to do USMLE Step 2 CS around the same time because they are similar. For those of you who've done Step 2 CS, how did you prep?

Spent 1 week reading First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CS. I passed this exam way before residency, which is typical for those training in the U.S. system as they usually do it at the end of 3rd or beginning of 4th year med school.

Honestly, I thought MCCQE 2 was much harder than Step 2 CS. 

QE2 is not all realistic compared to reality. A few stations had " difficult patients" where you get no history from them. After 6 years of practice doing FM, mostly outpatient with hospitalist work, urgent care, and ER, I have not encountered similar situations. And having the examiner in the same room makes it ackward.

I used canadaqbank to prep for both QEs.

the Step 2 CS is more straight forward. And it's you and the patient only in the room. No ambiguity. I used first aid for Step 2 CS and studied for 2 weeks before the exam.

Archived