Premed 101 Forums

Canadian for Diversity

So I am trying to decide what to write about for the diversity secondary questions. Originally I wrote about how I have unique/diverse experience in both exercise and dietary prescription (running classes for adults who suffer from Alzheimers disease, Parkinson's disease, stroke survivors; working in a medical clinic as a exercise/diet counsellor where I work with people from various cultural, socioeconomic, age etc.. demographics and help them overcome their specific barriers to changing their behaviour & improving their diets), and how I think my experiences would benefit the class. But I am wondering whether writing about being Canadian is what most Canadians write about for this essay, and if I should just do that instead.

3 hours ago, j17f said:

So I am trying to decide what to write about for the diversity secondary questions. Originally I wrote about how I have unique/diverse experience in both exercise and dietary prescription (running classes for adults who suffer from Alzheimers disease, Parkinson's disease, stroke survivors; working in a medical clinic as a exercise/diet counsellor where I work with people from various cultural, socioeconomic, age etc.. demographics and help them overcome their specific barriers to changing their behaviour & improving their diets), and how I think my experiences would benefit the class. But I am wondering whether writing about being Canadian is what most Canadians write about for this essay, and if I should just do that instead.

Haha seen your post on this topic on SDN. FYI I'm also in the midst of American apps and am not writing about being Canadian for diversity secondary questions. 

I would not write about being Canadian unless you’re of an immigrant background. I think you will end up sounding very stereotypical and even though I personally think Canada is better in many ways, nobody wants to hear things that could be viewed as negatives about their own country. 

Yea people on SDN said I should, but when I start writing it, I'm just writing about generalizations that are not evidence based. We grew up with multicultural values, but I'm pretty sure a majority of younger people in the states share those values as well. The only thing I could really write would be our healthcare system, and that's just too obvious.

There's lots of subtle differences that are evidence based that when analyzed under scrutiny and then compared with the American system would provide a meaningful discussion and dialogue that could highlight what you bring to the table. But it's gonna take you more than 5 mins to figure out the thrust of what you are going to write. 

13 hours ago, canucks_14 said:

There's lots of subtle differences that are evidence based that when analyzed under scrutiny and then compared with the American system would provide a meaningful discussion and dialogue that could highlight what you bring to the table. But it's gonna take you more than 5 mins to figure out the thrust of what you are going to write. 

Where did you find this? Every time I search for something I get links like "10 REASONS WHY CANADIANS DO IT BETTER THAN AMERICANS", or links that talk about Americans doing business in Canada/ Canadians doing business in the States.

I just wrote this, thoughts?:

I’m from the Great White North, right, like up above the States
The big land mass that the rest of the world hates
Well we’re like, above that, fuckin' north I guess

The big patch of trees where everybody’s bored to death
We’re just chillin’ up here, sippin’ syrup, playin’ hockey
Before we learn to walk, we can crosscheck properly
Just rockin’ plaid jackets, chainsaws we operate ‘em right
Fuckin’ eh right we do bud, we cut our weight in firewood

Every 20 minutes or so... smoke break!
And if the Leafs make the playoffs, I’ll fuckin’ jump in the lake
Fuckin’ buddy comes over to my place the other night
And he’s like “wanna go out for a rip?”
And I was like “fuckin’ right!” (yeah)

So we hop in the truck and hit the mud and I was like
“Oooohh fuck yeah bud!”

Just out for a rip are ya bud? Just out for a rip?

I come from the land of the polite, where shit’s covered in ice
And when I’m down in the States, they’re like “you’re too fuckin’ nice”
I’m like “yeah we got manners, but fuckin’ buddies still fight
And fuckin’ swear and fuckin’ drink all night”
Like this one time, me and fuckin' buddy are out havin’ a dart
And fuckin’ buddy burns a hole in my coat
And I was like “fuck bud” ‘cause the coat was pretty new right?
And he's like “fuck you,” so I put his head in a snowbank
Just started fuckin’ feeding him the right left
Like fuckin’ boom, boom, boom, "you had enough yet?"
And he’s like “okay, okay, fuck, chill out, shit”
So I pulled him out of the snow and we went out for a rip (yeah)

Just out for a rip are ya bud? (oh fuck yeah) Just out for a rip? (fuckin’ right)
Just out for a rip are ya bud? (oh fuck yeah) Just out for a rip? (fuckin’ right)

• 1 year later...

Archived