Premed 101 Forums

Does UBC have a different stream for OOP rural applicants?

I attended university in an urban area, but I'm from a rural community. I wanted clarification on how UBC favors those with a rural background. From their website I feel that they just add points to the NAQ section assuming you were involved in your rural community, but are there special seats for rural applicants or is it just that you get a few points added?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, mollypercocet said:

are there special seats for rural applicants or is it just that you get a few points added?

Technically, there are 32 "special seats" at the nmp and up to 10 at smp. Rural suitability is a combination of living rurally, experiences/activities in a rural area, having ties to a rural area (and probably other things). If you don't submit that portion of the app or if the committee doesn't rank you high enough, you basically aren't eligible for those spots. 

If you feel like you'd like to be admitted to one of those seats, submit the rural suitability portion. There are definitely a few people who havent lived rurally and/or have no ties, yet still got into those seats, based on having filled the section to the best of their ability. So its possible. Let the admissions committee decide for you, before you self-select yourself out.

Archived