Premed 101 Forums

In need of sincere advice

Hello to anyone who reads this, as you can see from the title of this conversation I'm seeking advice about my current situation.
It has always been my dream to become a doctor, this is one of the earliest memories I have from growing up. This is something I've always wanted and have always imagined myself doing. I can honestly say that I can't see myself being anything else besides a doctor. However right now I'm in a tough situation...
I was former running start student, for those who don't know what that is that's basically when you take college classes while still in high school. I was doing quite well, I was getting 4.0s in the courses I took however that began to slowly change. After graduating high school with a 4.0 gpa everything pretty much went down hill for me. I started getting distracted from my goals and not taking college seriously, I started losing motivation in wanting to be in school and eventually my 4.0 gpa dropped to what is now a 2.5.
At this point I do realize that I've dug myself into a very deep hole and I know that I haven't displayed the characteristics of someone who's passionate about Med school but becoming a doctor is still a dream for me. I still don't see myself being anything else besides a doctor. I just turned 20 years old and I really want to start doing things right.
Iv'e completed the general chem series and biology, and was planning on taking O.chem and Physics this coming year at the college. I'm pretty much aware that regardless of whether I get a 4.0 in the classes it isn't going to raise my gpa much, however my goal is to at least show an upward trend on my transcript.
What I want to know is what else I should be doing so I can raise my chances of getting into medical school with my current situation? And what should I do when I transfer to a university? I would like to believe that I still have a chance of proving myself, I know it may not be easy but I believe that I can do it.

Hi Nita,  This is primarily a Canadian Med School forum.   Most people here will not know much about US undergrad or college to University transfer credits.  The Canadian system is somewhat different and does not typically acknowledge college credits for Med School applications.

Suggest you pose same question on SDK.    Cheers

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/

What year are you in college?

27 minutes ago, nita w. said:

And what should I do when I transfer to a university? 

What do you mean by "when I transfer to a university"? Did you just graduate from High school? Because if you are an incoming freshman then you have plenty of time to improve your GPA over the course of your Undergrad career. 

If it makes you feel any better, I personally know someone who has worst GPA than your 2.5. My best friend has <2.0 GPA due to depression in his first and second year of University, his depression wasn't treated early on and his academic suffered severely which was very unfortunate because he was a straight A+ student in high school. He's going into his 3rd year this coming school year and he finally realized that he wanted to do medicine. He was inspired by all the doctors who helped him treat his depression that he is now fighting to make his dream into a reality. Sure, it's an uphill battle from here on out but I believe in him and I think that you should believe in yourself as well.

If you are someone who is on his/her 1st or 2nd year then you still have time to improve. If you are on your 3rd or 4th year then you might consider staying an extra year to help boost your GPA.

Good luck!

26 minutes ago, confuse-pre-med said:

What year are you in college?

Firstly I just want to say thank you for taking the time reply to my post, I really do appreciate it. I'm going onto my 3rd year in community college, I'm planning on transferring to a university probably after a year depending how things work out...

Archived