Premed 101 Forums

Going to campus 3 days a week

Hey guys, I had a question for anyone who knows how the Queen Medical school schedule looks like. 

Would it be possible to condense most of my classes in 3- 4 days such that I could have Friday Sat and Sunday off? I don't mind missing lectures I can catch online. 

I wanna be able to go back to my home town on the weekend, I het home sick too easy. 

Our calendar isn't up yet but based on last year, we have Friday afternoons off and there's a few weeks throughout the semester with Fridays completely off.

Of the Friday mornings that have class, about 50% had small group learning (SGL) sessions and the other 50% were lectures.

So most weeks, you could leave for home at around noonish and that gives you pretty much all of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (depending on how far away you are). Other days you'll be able to leave Thursday night. Home sickness sucks man, hopefully you feel at home here and that helps a bit, and if this is something that could impact your mental health, there are plenty of resources available to help you out. 

1 hour ago, Bawgg said:

Ohh I see, thanks for your reply. So most weeks during the first year, I can get away with spending 3 days at home.

Now, would you k kw anything about the se on year? 

What about subsequent years? 

Thanks

Second year looks pretty similar

Clerkship I have no idea, haven't looked that far ahead haha, heard it was unpredictable in terms of schedule though. Maybe @Epona can give you a better answer

Thank you guys so much for all your replies. 

I just have so much anxiety. I've never been away from my famly fir more then a day. This is going to be super hard... I hope I can get away with skipping most Fridays for the first twi years at least.  

One more question. When it comes to residency, I can move back to Toronto right? Assuming I get accepted here.

15 hours ago, Bawgg said:

Thank you guys so much for all your replies. 

I just have so much anxiety. I've never been away from my famly fir more then a day. This is going to be super hard... I hope I can get away with skipping most Fridays for the first twi years at least.  

One more question. When it comes to residency, I can move back to Toronto right? Assuming I get accepted here.

Residency will depend on where you get accepted. If you get accepted to a program at the University of Toronto, of course you can move back to Toronto :) It may even be possible to live in Toronto if you do residency at McMaster because Hamilton is really close (residency program dependent). Depending on the program you want, it may not be possible to return to Toronto for residency as it is extremely competitive and most people will apply widely in terms of location (all across the country).

I think the best advice is one that Epona gave: Try to develop some strategies to cope with being homesick during the pre-clerkship years. Clerkship can be extremely challenging with overnight calls, potential weekend shifts, and a lot of travelling to different sites/schools for electives. Using the pre-clerkship years to develop resiliency in general and strategies is extremely beneficial.

Archived