Premed 101 Forums

EC's????

MDPLZ

extraordinary? 

that would mean top percentile EC's, so I would say that would include outstanding performance in competitive sports (olympics), first author nature publications, very long-term high-impact extracurricular activities. But also note that in a given application pool, it may be possible that the top percentile were simply just better than the lower percentiles in terms of commitment and impact of their EC's rather than doing something "extraordinary". In the end your EC's are only relevant as compared to the general pool, so as long as you keep committed you can still have great EC's. 

2 minutes ago, FatherFranklin said:

extraordinary? 

that would mean top percentile EC's, so I would say that would include outstanding performance in competitive sports (olympics), first author nature publications, very long-term high-impact extracurricular activities. But also note that in a given application pool, it may be possible that the top percentile were simply just better than the lower percentiles in terms of commitment and impact of their EC's rather than doing something "extraordinary". In the end your EC's are only relevant as compared to the general pool, so as long as you keep committed you can still have great EC's. 

Did not think of that.. thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2017 at 1:38 PM, TARS said:

Something you have a strong passion for - it'll show through your dedication, commitment, and initiatives IMO. Cheesy, but chasing for the one killer EC probably isn't the best way of approaching this whole thing.

Also the ADCOMS really like development, especially in the face of challenges, within your ECs as well as dedication and commitment. 

On 2017-07-23 at 1:38 PM, TARS said:

Something you have a strong passion for - it'll show through your dedication, commitment, and initiatives IMO. Cheesy, but chasing for the one killer EC probably isn't the best way of approaching this whole thing.

On 2017-08-02 at 0:35 PM, Pippa756 said:

Also the ADCOMS really like development, especially in the face of challenges, within your ECs as well as dedication and commitment. 

TARS and Pippa756 have a good point. I think that your drive to make an impact, doing something you love and/or something unique will stand out the most. Don't go into it thinking you need a prestigious EC, but rather find something (a hobby maybe) that you really enjoy. Start off small, but then get more involved, possibly taking on a leadership role, or initiating something. You want to make sure that you passion for this EC really shows in a admissions letter, interview etc. because interviewers and admissions offices really can tell if you care about what you are talking about or if you are just using it fluff up a resume/ application. It ultimately shows them that you have that drive and passion that they look for in future physicians. I have heard many stories about 4.0 GPA students and 520+ MCAT scorers who did not get through because they just didn't put time or effort into something they loved in their spare time. 

On 2017-07-20 at 10:31 AM, MDPLZ said:

What would be considered and outstanding or extraordinary EC?

Curious!

Other than curing cancer or an Olympic medal, it does not exist. But let's examine some. I took up horse riding & jumping. To control an animal that is huge compared to your size is an accomplishment! However, horses sense fear and react negatively to it. So, you need to be comfortable and be one with the horse. Only then can you lead it. You need to be sensitive to non-verbal cues, increasing your transferable communication skills. Then, you throw jumping into the mix and winning competitions, which takes a high degree of co fort and skill.

Take the performing arts. You start off as a novice knowing nothing with no skills. After years, you develop expertise, communication skills, you win competitions in public performances, you teach others. 

There is no particular ECs per se that is outstanding. And you don't need to be outstanding. You need to develop over time, demonstrate this, ideally contribute to your community in the process, e.g., in the performing arts, I performed for the elderly, which they enjoyed as did I, thereby sharing my passion and expertise with those vulnerable in the community. In horse riding, I was a summer counselor at a horse training camp, exposing young underprivileged teens for the first time to grooming and caring for horses, giving them a feeling of accomplishment and opening their world beyond their normal experiences; and caring for animals creates bonds of trust.

so, do what you enjoy. Develop. Pass it on or in some way, contribute to your community. Then, write about it in a compelling way that separates you from the crowd!

Archived