Premed 101 Forums

Is it possible to be accepted OOP but not IP? (Ontario)

I am based in Ontario and I'm wondering what the odds are of being accepted in an out-of-province school if I don't get accepted to an in-province school.

I am asking because I am trying to decide whether I should bother applying to an OOP school (or which ones to apply to) or if I should instead focus more on trying to enhance my in-province applications more and making them as best as can be.

Furthermore, are there certain scenarios that would make me more likely to be accepted OOP but not IP?

Thanks!

Edit: cGPA is 3.79(/4.00), MCAT is 513 (CARS is 127 - 128/127/128/129)

Every school you apply to is another potential opportunity to get an interview.  If you meet the OOP thresholds, then apply.  At most schools the OOP GPA and/or MCAT threshold is usually quite high compared to IP.  There is also a limitation to the number of OOP interviews/acceptances so it is not easy.  With a wGPA (weighted) used at some schools, potentially your GPA could be sufficient to earn an interview.  Look at each school's interview stats or review them on premed101 to get a sense of the thresholds.

I don't think there is a scenario where OOP is in your favour compared to In province.  As per my initial thought, anywhere you get an interview is in your favour.

9 hours ago, YesIcan55 said:

Do not meet minimum requirement for UofC (need 128 CARS+ and 3.80+)

Do not meet minimum requirement for UofA (need 128 CARS+)

Do not meet minimum requirement for UBC (GPA needs to be above 85%)

Do not meet minimum requirement for Manitoba (MCAT cutoff last year was 520)

Do not meet minimum requirement for Sask (MCAT cutoff last year was like 517)

You do meet the minimum requirement for Dal

You do meet the minimum requirement for McGill

Not sure if you meet MUN's min requirements

*Note meeting the min requirement does not mean your stats are competitive, but they are simply above the min OOP threshold for your app to be considered* 

Actually the MCAT cutoff for Sask last year was 520 with 129 in CARS!

When I first applied, I only got interviews OOP. This happened for me because I luckily had a high CARS score and below average scores in other sections.

Double check your GPA for each OOP schools you are applying to. My GPA in Ontario was abysmal, but when OOP it when significantly better.

But I do agree with the poster above! Apply to as many schools as possible in Canada, as they're all great schools. And for CaRMs - no one care where in Canada you did your medical school, more so how you behaved and interacted with others during the time you spent at their institution/program.

Best wishes!!

Thanks a lot for your feedback, everyone! I didn't know the potential for being accepted OOP but not IP was that high. You've motivated me to put some more focus into those OOP applications that I meet the cutoff for. Best of luck to everyone as well.

On 2017-07-25 at 11:30 PM, YesIcan55 said:

Do not meet minimum requirement for UofC (need 128 CARS+ and 3.80+)

Do not meet minimum requirement for UofA (need 128 CARS+)

Do not meet minimum requirement for UBC (GPA needs to be above 85%)

Do not meet minimum requirement for Manitoba (MCAT cutoff last year was 520)

Do not meet minimum requirement for Sask (MCAT cutoff last year was like 517)

You do meet the minimum requirement for Dal

You do meet the minimum requirement for McGill

Not sure if you meet MUN's min requirements

*Note meeting the min requirement does not mean your stats are competitive, but they are simply above the min OOP threshold for your app to be considered* 

He MAY meet the GPA requirement for UBC as they do drop the lowest 30 credits (if he qualifies for it). I have a 3.6 cGPA but a 91% wGPA for UBC.

19 hours ago, etimtab said:

Thanks a lot for your feedback, everyone! I didn't know the potential for being accepted OOP but not IP was that high. You've motivated me to put some more focus into those OOP applications that I meet the cutoff for. Best of luck to everyone as well.

Do not mistake individual stories for the norm. Do your own research and check the GPA and MCAT cut-offs for OOP for each school and apply to those that you meet the cut-offs for. There's no point in spending time and money on an application that they won't even look at because you don't meet the requirements.

On 2017-07-26 at 9:36 AM, BoopityBoop said:

When I first applied, I only got interviews OOP. This happened for me because I luckily had a high CARS score and below average scores in other sections.

Double check your GPA for each OOP schools you are applying to. My GPA in Ontario was abysmal, but when OOP it when significantly better.

But I do agree with the poster above! Apply to as many schools as possible in Canada, as they're all great schools. And for CaRMs - no one care where in Canada you did your medical school, more so how you behaved and interacted with others during the time you spent at their institution/program.

Best wishes!!

Hi, if you don't mind me asking - what was your GPA? Cause from the way it sounds it seems like OOP GPA and restrictions are a lot higher than IP

Archived