Premed 101 Forums

Chances without retaking MCAT

Hello I'm new to the forum and I'd like to get some opinion!

I'm IP (graduated UG this fall) and I applied to UBC last year with a TFR of around 65 (decently balanced AQ and NAQ) and MCAT~75%tile (2 attempts, low CARS)

I was rejected post-interview with a below-avg score. 

I'm debating whether or not it'll be a good idea to retake the MCAT. I haven't started studying yet (though I'd be my 3rd time taking it) and will only have 3 weeks before the deadline for this year (Aug 24th). If I do bad this time, i won't be able to apply to U.S schools and this is my main concern.

Is it likely for my MCAT to keep me from being accepted, say if I do above avg or avg this time on the interview? I'm also looking to get stronger letters of recommendations this year. Is this likely going to help?

75th percentile sounds fine, it's not super ideal but it's not a deal breaker either.  With a TFR of 65 as an IP applicant, your app seems strong enough to get in as long as you do well in the interview with a slightly weak MCAT.  Not worth the risk to retake in this situation IMO.

I think you're on the right track with letters of recommendations this year. I think it's an area of the post-interview stage that's grossly overlooked on this forum. I intentionally chose people that I felt would be good at writing a persuasive argument for why I'm a better candidate than the rest. For example, I chose one of my english professors as my academic reference because writing academic papers is all about being concise and persuasive. 

I agree with TARS, I think unless you're feeling really confident that you'll improve on your MCAT you should be ok. A girl I know got in with a 504 this year, but has a very strong application otherwise. 

Also, work on improving that interview score!

I would also recommend not re-taking if you're set on UBC. Your other scores are stellar and with a good interview score you should be fine. IMO, without that good interview score, improving the MCAT will likely not get you into UBC.  Enjoy the rest of your summer! 

Archived