Premed 101 Forums

Tell me why you love/hate dentistry

Well the owner of my office is a boss at taking out 8s.  He will do them all.  Worst case scenario I give her pain meds and she comes back to see him in a couple of days.  But I've done ones like this before and I knew I could finish it.  I just figured it might take me 45 minutes more than it did.  

18 hours ago, withnothing said:

First of all, you're being rude in the way you post. I already know she is a dentist. Second, no one was talking to you, so keep your opinion to yourself. You're someone of low character and I have absolutely no respect for you. 

Ok, thanks. 

that escalated quickly lol 

1 hour ago, Ostracized said:

Well the owner of my office is a boss at taking out 8s.  He will do them all.  Worst case scenario I give her pain meds and she comes back to see him in a couple of days.  But I've done ones like this before and I knew I could finish it.  I just figured it might take me 45 minutes more than it did.  

curious as to where you stop and go hmmm....maybe this is a case for the oral surgeon. 

For myself if i see a partly erupted 3rd molars that is severely disto-angular impacted and close to the IAN nerve I'm like: Bye, go see the oral surgeon. 

But where do you draw the line you know? They don't really teach you that in dental school

27 minutes ago, cookiemonster99 said:

curious as to where you stop and go hmmm....maybe this is a case for the oral surgeon. 

Ideally, before you do anything.

27 minutes ago, cookiemonster99 said:

For myself if i see a partly erupted 3rd molars that is severely disto-angular impacted and close to the IAN nerve I'm like: Bye, go see the oral surgeon. 

But where do you draw the line you know? They don't really teach you that in dental school

I think you'll learn early on that the line is often lower than that. In school you can do what you'd like because you have people to bail you out. There is also the understanding that you're a student.

However the difference between a student and a licensed, practising dentist can be as little as literally a few weeks. Your skill hasn't changed, but the threshold for when you might think, "Ah, I probably shouldn't tackle this" lowers greatly. Not because you may not have help, but because the stakes are much higher.

That threshold slowly increases but it only comes with experience, gradually pushing your comfort level, and undoubtedly, some times when you wonder what you got yourself into.

Also, if you really do have to stop mid-procedure and refer to an oral surgeon, no, there's no obligation you fork up the bill for them. You'd be a huge dick to bill the patient for an incomplete job though. It's all about how you communicate. I've had to do it when I was really SOL and there were no issues. But I sure wish I had simply referred in the first place.

11 hours ago, cleanup said:

Ideally, before you do anything.

I think you'll learn early on that the line is often lower than that. In school you can do what you'd like because you have people to bail you out. There is also the understanding that you're a student.

However the difference between a student and a licensed, practising dentist can be as little as literally a few weeks. Your skill hasn't changed, but the threshold for when you might think, "Ah, I probably shouldn't tackle this" lowers greatly. Not because you may not have help, but because the stakes are much higher.

That threshold slowly increases but it only comes with experience, gradually pushing your comfort level, and undoubtedly, some times when you wonder what you got yourself into.

Also, if you really do have to stop mid-procedure and refer to an oral surgeon, no, there's no obligation you fork up the bill for them. You'd be a huge dick to bill the patient for an incomplete job though. It's all about how you communicate. I've had to do it when I was really SOL and there were no issues. But I sure wish I had simply referred in the first place.

Lol, Actually, if you billed the patient for a partial extraction, i will bill the DDS not the pt for completing the job. if you didn't and send I will bill the pt.   If it is the one or two occurences for the same procedure I am fine, but multiple repeats I will have a nice talk with the DDS, it is all about the well being of the patient.  Maybe a sounded like an arse.. 

12 hours ago, cleanup said:

Just curious what sort of procedure are you talking about here? 

41 minutes ago, koft said:

Lol, Actually, if you billed the patient for a partial extraction, i will bill the DDS not the pt for completing the job. if you didn't and send I will bill the pt.   If it is the one or two occurences for the same procedure I am fine, but multiple repeats I will have a nice talk with the DDS, it is all about the well being of the patient.  Maybe a sounded like an arse.. 

Not sure if you misread my post, but I think that's fair. I'd do the same if you had a naughty GP constantly sending you botched jobs too.

Archived