Premed 101 Forums

Full Course Load Question

Hi there

I have one application year that has a 4.0 average that I am kind of on the fence about. In this year, I have 5 classes in the first semester, but 4 in the second semester (one of those was online). I have lots of summer classes to make up for the missing ones, but I was just checking to see if it would count or not. In the traditional sense from the website, it says full time courses can't be completed by way of distance studies. Now the only thing though is that I don't see how it would be possible for Ottawa to know that it was actually taken online. There is nothing marked about it on my transcript, and the course is offered as both online and in-class.  Just interested to see what you guys think of this. Thanks. Martin. 

2 hours ago, Martin1234567 said:

Hi there

I have one application year that has a 4.0 average that I am kind of on the fence about. In this year, I have 5 classes in the first semester, but 4 in the second semester (one of those was online). I have lots of summer classes to make up for the missing ones, but I was just checking to see if it would count or not. In the traditional sense from the website, it says full time courses can't be completed by way of distance studies. Now the only thing though is that I don't see how it would be possible for Ottawa to know that it was actually taken online. There is nothing marked about it on my transcript, and the course is offered as both online and in-class.  Just interested to see what you guys think of this. Thanks. Martin. 

If I got this right, your second semester had 3 on campus course and 1 online course? If this was the case, I believe that year wont be used since admissions did tell me that you need 4 on campus lecture minimum per semester. But again, rules can change so double check with admissions. 

Right, from what I understand it technically probably would not count, but I don't see how it would be possible for them to tell that 1 of them was online or not if it isn't indicated anywhere. There aren't any section numbers or anything indicative of that on my transcript, so we will see I guess. 

I'm going to send them an email to see how they actually check if a course was completed online or not. I can't really conceive a way in which they would be able to check that if it isn't marked on the transcript. I know places like waterloo and mcmaster I believe will actually state that the course was completed online on the transcripts. 

4 hours ago, Martin1234567 said:

I'm going to send them an email to see how they actually check if a course was completed online or not. I can't really conceive a way in which they would be able to check that if it isn't marked on the transcript. I know places like waterloo and mcmaster I believe will actually state that the course was completed online on the transcripts. 

Could you let us know what they say when you get a reply? Thanks in advance :)

IMO its a silly rule. Distance studies should be fine.  I don't understand the argument at all that in class courses are somehow more demanding/different than online ones. I really can't think of 1 measurable difference between the two rather than saving time on campus/walking to the class. I would bet that it will probably be changed within a few years to be more accepting of online classes either way. Its ironic because the online course I took had basically 3x the workload of my in class ones. Oh well, i'm glad that this year will count now.

1 minute ago, Martin1234567 said:

IMO its a silly rule. Distance studies should be fine.  I don't understand the argument at all that in class courses are somehow more demanding/different than online ones. I really can't think of 1 measurable difference between the two rather than saving time on campus/walking to the class. I would bet that it will probably be changed within a few years to be more accepting of online classes either way. Its ironic because the online course I took had basically 3x the workload of my in class ones. Oh well, i'm glad that this year will count now.

Agreed on all fronts.

I mean at the same time... I would argue that 4th year seminar courses are much more loose than online. I've taken 2 or 3 online classes throughout undergrad, in my experience they have been very rigid and militaristic. That argument also ignores all the art/english majors who get accepted with much less strict/demanding schedules as well. In my mind, the pros out weight the cons here, definitely see this policy getting changed going forward. It also fits into the general "trend" of med schools aiming to become more accepting and holistic going forward here. 

I think what they were aiming for is preventing people from doing studies entirely online and at your own pace (e.g. Athabasca), but didn't know where to draw the line for "regular" distance education courses taken by students who are otherwise taking in class courses. 

I don't know. I think that there are more productive rules they could set if those are the kind of years they exclude— what about people who took entirely 1st year courses during their last year just to get a wGPA of 4.0? 

I think everyone's problems would be solved if all courses counted. Those taken at suspect programs like the Athabasca one should be evaluated on an individual basis.  I think there are way more (ie 95%+) of online classes that truly are legitimate than not. IMHO, and i'm not just saying that because it supports my argument, but I truly believe there is a higher percentage of 4th year classes that are "loosy goosy" than online ones that aren't stringent. Then that's aside from the whole fact that you can completely game the system by picking classes in 4th year that don't have exams. I know people who only had 3 finals out of 10 half courses over 1 single academic year, all in class. My point is, that there are far bigger ways to "game" the system than what the perceived benefit (fear) of taking online classes would ever pose to an applicant. 

Then you have to ask yourself... how many applicants are there even going to be from those questionable programs? Probably 0.01%. 

Definitely time for a policy change here.

On 2017-07-30 at 7:59 PM, Martin1234567 said:

Right, from what I understand it technically probably would not count, but I don't see how it would be possible for them to tell that 1 of them was online or not if it isn't indicated anywhere. There aren't any section numbers or anything indicative of that on my transcript, so we will see I guess. 

So, they don't know and you receive an admittance. Three and a half years later, they discover you got in under false pretenses or deception, you are kicked out of medical school, do not receive your degree, are blackballed and you become a taxi driver. A close friend who is jealous anonimously has reported you.

6 hours ago, Bambi said:

So, they don't know and you receive an admittance. Three and a half years later, they discover you got in under false pretenses or deception, you are kicked out of medical school, do not receive your degree, are blackballed and you become a taxi driver. A close friend who is jealous anonimously has reported you.

This is so dramatic - a taxi driver? Definitely some disrespectful undertones here. I expect better from you.

To Martin: I would verify with the school in case. It likely won't be a big deal in the end, and realistically, you likely wouldn't get blacklisted for this oversight - but best to check and make sure.  

1 hour ago, vigeash23 said:

This is so dramatic - a taxi driver? Definitely some disrespectful undertones here. I expect better from you.

To Martin: I would verify with the school in case. It likely won't be a big deal in the end, and realistically, you likely wouldn't get blacklisted for this oversight - but best to check and make sure.  

Nothing disrespectful here, rather fact that if there is not complete honest disclosure, the consequences are potentially dire when the medical school discovers the actual facts that have not been disclosed or hidden. This would not be an "oversight" but a deliberate attempt to hide pertinent facts for which there are consequences. Being a taxi driver is an honourable way to make a living although the remuneration to a physician is not comparable. 

there are consequences. 

I will say that the school does not officially ask candidates to list whether a course is online or not. They also do not have the 1 online course/semester rule on their website.

So if OP didn't know of this rule, and applied, got in, would they really be allowed to impose anything on him? 

I agree - it seems like that Ottawa should be checking to see if their criteria are satisfied (they do for GPA and other aspects clearly), and if the OP isn't falsely declaring or withholding any information then I don't believe the OP has an obligation to do anything more but go through the application process.  It does put people who take online courses that are identified as such at a disadvantage, but the rule seems somewhat arbitrary at best.  

1 minute ago, vigeash23 said:

Agree with the above - unless it explicitly asks which courses were online, it's up to Ottawa on how to calculate your gpa. If I recall last year, there was no areas where they asked about online courses.

I remember Ottawa just telling me that they know whether the course was online or not even if doesn't say on the transcript. How they know...?? It will forever remain a mystery...

4 minutes ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

I remember Ottawa just telling me that they know whether the course was online or not even if doesn't say on the transcript. How they know...?? It will forever remain a mystery...

At the end of the day, I would just apply. Like they said, the onus is on them to find out if the course is online or not - and if they aren't asking you about online courses explicitly, then just apply regularly as you would.  Perhaps in the future, their adcoms can make a better distinction between distance education courses and online courses taken at your local university, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of clear information on this issue.

Archived