Premed 101 Forums

MCAT - Do I need to retake it?

Hi All,

I'm an in province student with an academic average of 88%. I got a 503 on my MCAT, and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should retake it. I'm going into my fourth year, so I have time to take it again at the beginning of September. Thoughts?? Do I need to retake it?

It's hard to say what the stats will be like this year, but for 2016 entry the IP median 2015 MCAT percentile was 57.  That is just over a 501, which is the 56th percentile.  The median for the old MCAT was 74th percentile.  If the scores are relatively consistent you will probably be good, but it's impossible to say for sure.

"The Admissions Committee removed individuals who applied in the last admissions cycle from further consideration if their total MCAT score was < the 24th percentile in the MCAT written April 2015 onwards. Applicants applying by October 1, 2017, for entry in 2018 should note that the Admissions Committee will evaluate the MCAT scores of all applicants before determining the required minimum MCAT score for incoming 2018 medical students (the required total MCAT score likely will be similar to last year or slightly higher)."

I think you should be good. IF anyone should be worried about their MCAT, it should be me! *finger-crossed*

Hi,

i just got in this year with a 502. I also had ~87-88 average. However I think it is the lowest score posted on this website that was accepted and last year there were a significant number of scores posted here that were lower that were accepted. It seems to me that the trend is going up. But that is all speculation. I think with your scores you would likely get an interview and then it really depends on how strong your interview is. If you think you can improve your score on a second try and practice test scores indicate improvement, I would definitely suggest re-writing it for a stronger application. If you don't think you would improve, apply with your current score and prepare well for an interview. 

Hope that helps.

Archived