Premed 101 Forums

When did you start getting involved in research during undergrad?

Hey guys! I am just curious, when do most people start getting research experience? I am going into my second year, and I haven't started volunteering in a lab yet, but I'm really interested in doing that, eventually. I already have a bunch of extracurricular activities lined up, so I'm not sure how beneficial it would be for me to get involved during the school year, but I'm worried that I won't be able to get a good lab or hospital research position in the upcoming summer if I don't have prior experience? Thanks so much for your help!

6 minutes ago, pretzels said:

Hey guys! I am just curious, when do most people start getting research experience? I am going into my second year, and I haven't started volunteering in a lab yet, but I'm really interested in doing that, eventually. I already have a bunch of extracurricular activities lined up, so I'm not sure how beneficial it would be for me to get involved during the school year, but I'm worried that I won't be able to get a good lab or hospital research position in the upcoming summer if I don't have prior experience? Thanks so much for your help!

There's no "start" to getting research experience. If you already have a bunch of ECs lined up (assuming >20hrs/week), it's likely you won't have time to do anything meaningful for the lab during the academic year.  I think if you ever have research in mind as a post-graduate option, try to volunteer a summer or during the school year with one of your profs and see if you like it or not. Some of my friends started early (2nd year and quit) while others have started research as late as 4th year and ended up completing an MSc with the same supervisor. 

Archived