Premed 101 Forums

Highschool courses for MCAT help

Hello everyone, a few months back I came to this forum regarding on the process of becoming a pathologist and I think it's something that I would really enjoy to do. That being said, I understand that for med school, the MCAT must be written in university. 

I am currently taking the IB program in Ontario and I was wondering if it was acceptable to not take physics in highschool but in university instead. The way it works in IB is that out of the six fields you must take 3 Higher level courses and 3 Standard level courses. One has the option to double up a course in a field, for example, if one does not want to take music, he/she can take two sciences. That is my case as I have decided to take higher level biology and standard level chemistry. 

The million dollar question is where does physics come into play?

Will it be an issue if I skip over physics for the IB program/highschool (taking three sciences is very difficult) or take physics over the summer. Or, will it be fine if I take it in university.

7 minutes ago, Twist said:

Hello everyone, a few months back I came to this forum regarding on the process of becoming a pathologist and I think it's something that I would really enjoy to do. That being said, I understand that for med school, the MCAT must be written in university. 

I am currently taking the IB program in Ontario and I was wondering if it was acceptable to not take physics in highschool but in university instead. The way it works in IB is that out of the six fields you must take 3 Higher level courses and 3 Standard level courses. One has the option to double up a course in a field, for example, if one does not want to take music, he/she can take two sciences. That is my case as I have decided to take higher level biology and standard level chemistry. 

The million dollar question is where does physics come into play?

Will it be an issue if I skip over physics for the IB program/highschool (taking three sciences is very difficult) or take physics over the summer. Or, will it be fine if I take it in university.

Hey! So I took the IB program as well (but somewhat unlike, but also somewhat similar is that I took SL physics and HL chemistry). I actually had no plans on going into med so I completely skipped out on biology. To answer your question regarding taking a course you haven't taken in high school in university - I honestly thought 1st year sciences were review of IB material. What would be helpful is maybe ask your SL physics friends to lend you their course notes and read through some of it before heading into your physics class in uni.  don't think you are disadvantaged by much, but it is helpful to browse through the topics etc. 

Physics actually come into play quite a bit in anatomy and physiology - physics is the fundamental science and a lot of things tie back (albeit indirectly) to physics. Human kinetics and even at the molecular level how electrochemical gradients help drive some of the fundamental processes. You don't have to solve velocity equations or answer to what a "quantum" or photon is, but you certainly need to have some grasp on motion and some kinetics concept. You can draw parallels between your body to levers and fulcrums.

I don't think taking physics over the summer is useful - you will be doing TOK or extended essay during your grade 11 -> grade 12 summer, and then you should really rest between grade 12 -> year 1. Grab someone's SL physics notes or study guide and review that before year 1. 

Some med schools let you use IB credits to meet prereqs! This is helpful to note. So I used my HL chemistry score in the IB to meet my chemistry prerequisite. 

Do you know where you will be doing undergrad? Skipping high school physics will have little (or zero) impact on your ability to get into medical school, but it may impact your ability to take first year physics at university. My undergrad university required a minimum of high school Physics 11 in order to enroll in first year university physics. Some of my friends who lacked the prerequisite high school courses had to waste valuable time upgrading their courses before they were able to take the classes required for our major. 

Try to check the prerequisites of any universities you are considering attending. 

3 hours ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

Do you know where you will be doing undergrad? Skipping high school physics will have little (or zero) impact on your ability to get into medical school, but it may impact your ability to take first year physics at university. My undergrad university required a minimum of high school Physics 11 in order to enroll in first year university physics. Some of my friends who lacked the prerequisite high school courses had to waste valuable time upgrading their courses before they were able to take the classes required for our major. 

Try to check the prerequisites of any universities you are considering attending. 

I would like to attend McMaster. I'll check on their website for prerequisites. Thank you everyone for the help.

If you are going into sciences in undergrad, there will be a first year physics and chemistry (and maybe biology).  You want to take the high-school physics and chemistry.  You will then still take them in first year in undergrad and hopefully get a 4.0 GPA.  First year can be difficult and you want every advantage you can get to adjust and do well.  Undergrad GPA is king later on for medical school applications.