Premed 101 Forums

CARS: Least evidence questions?

FifthCycle

Hi everyone,

I was looking for general advice/strategy on these types of questions that I most frequently get wrong:

"Which of the following claims is LEAST supported by evidence or explanation in the passage?"

Do you go back to the passage and search for each of these terms? Do you try your best to stretch them to the main idea? What about generally trying to recall parts of the passage as you re-skim it (current strategy; eats up a LOT of time).

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Acceptmenextcyclehowbowdah said:

Hi everyone,

I was looking for general advice/strategy on these types of questions that I most frequently get wrong:

"Which of the following claims is LEAST supported by evidence or explanation in the passage?"

Do you go back to the passage and search for each of these terms? Do you try your best to stretch them to the main idea? What about generally trying to recall parts of the passage as you re-skim it (current strategy; eats up a LOT of time).

Thanks!

My best advice for this type of question is to read the passage thoroughly and made a mental map in my head for each paragraph. For these question I went back to the passage but it was a quick glimpse since I knew where I would find the information based on my mental map I had earlier - this made it easy to eliminate the wrong answers and selected the least wrong one. This method work for me.

20 hours ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

My best advice for this type of question is to read the passage thoroughly and made a mental map in my head for each paragraph. For these question I went back to the passage but it was a quick glimpse since I knew where I would find the information based on my mental map I had earlier - this made it easy to eliminate the wrong answers and selected the least wrong one. This method work for me.

I'm trying my best to get better at this. 

I can pick up on locating certain ideas in the passage, but trouble when it's something like a direct word or quote

33 minutes ago, Acceptmenextcyclehowbowdah said:

I'm trying my best to get better at this. 

I can pick up on locating certain ideas in the passage, but trouble when it's something like a direct word or quote

Are you using the highlighting tool? If you are, are you over highlighting? I use the only the highlight tool for directions quotes, names and dates. It helps organize thought. 

15 hours ago, CardiacArrhythmia said:

Are you using the highlighting tool? If you are, are you over highlighting? I use the only the highlight tool for directions quotes, names and dates. It helps organize thought. 

Not highlighting at all in verbal UNLESS it's literally one word at a time (i.e. a name that I THINK may come up in a passage). I tend not to skim questions pre-hand (Princeton seems to advocate for this and I hate TPR's strategy)

30 minutes ago, Acceptmenextcyclehowbowdah said:

Not highlighting at all in verbal UNLESS it's literally one word at a time (i.e. a name that I THINK may come up in a passage). I tend not to skim questions pre-hand (Princeton seems to advocate for this and I hate TPR's strategy)

Try using the highlight tool for the quotes. It may help you remember where the quotes are.

Archived