Premed 101 Forums

UBC Dental Admission Criteria - No ECs?

Hi,

Does anyone know what the UBC Dental admission criteria is? Is it just GPA, DAT, and Interview?  

I am asking because I went through the application form and found no area to enter extra-curricular or volunteer activities. Is this no longer considered?

I spoke to friends who are near the end of their dental education and they said there was a small section to enter these aspects of their life when they applied 3 years ago. Is this no longer the case?

Thanks,
M

On 8/12/2017 at 4:54 PM, Askmeanything said:

They don't look at your ECs anymore. I believe they look at your GPA, DAT, Casper, and MMI.

This is correct. Even at the interview stage, there are no questions that directly ask about your ECs. You can certainly bring up how ECs influenced your world view and that will help you in the interviews

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Super Nova said:

not requiring ECs seems like a general trend for dentistry. Which is weird because dentistry is just as as sought after as medicine which requires many ECs.

true - although the usefulness of ECs for both medicine and dentistry as a tool to separate out people is becoming more and more suspect as we go along it seems (hence the rise of other methods). It is something that sounds like it should be useful but really hard to apply fairly. 

Just now, rmorelan said:

true - although the usefulness of ECs for both medicine and dentistry as a tool to separate out people is becoming more and more suspect as we go along it seems (hence the rise of other methods). It is something that sounds like it should be useful but really hard to apply fairly. 

Yeah i totally agree. I have many friends who are volunteering at multiple spots simply to say they did. It is rarely out of passion i have found. But i guess we can never have a perfect recruitment system. There will always be subjective or trivial criteria. 

Just now, Super Nova said:

Yeah i totally agree. I have many friends who are volunteering at multiple spots simply to say they did. It is rarely out of passion i have found. But i guess we can never have a perfect recruitment system. There will always be subjective or trivial criteria. 

ha, even when as objective as possible you have people with serious concerns about how it would work - so much about being a good health care provider has nothing to do with grades. Evaluating all that stuff is by its very nature somewhat subjective which means it will be controversial no matter how they do it.

I still don't envy the admission boards - a lot at stake. 

Archived