Premed 101 Forums

Alberta Dentists Being Forced to take Major Cut in Fees

This could be a sign of things to come in other provinces. Dentists, that are relatives of mine, have been warning me for months now that the Alberta Health minister would like cuts to the fees dentists charge patients of up to 25% in many areas. She may force legislation if needed to get her way. I'm surprised nobody is talking about this. This would drastically affect our earning potential.

http://edmontonjournal.com/storyline/first-alberta-dental-fee-guide-in-20-years-to-put-downward-pressure-on-costs

While its true Alberta dentists charge the highest, we also have the highest overhead- Staff costs are more than double of other provinces...

Insurance companies pay what they feel like which most often is LESS than the fee guide.

The scary part is: " Hoffman hinted she could use her power under the Health Professions Act to impose new regulations on dentists. " Dentists I talked to are worried about what those regulations entail. They could make it law that a dentist could only charge so much for a certain procedure.

Why don't they decrease pensions and salaries for politicians first! Why pick on dentists.

From my experiences as an administrator in Ontario, insurance companies only pay at the level proposed by the fee guide, but some policies pay based on previous years fee guides so the amount is less because each year the prices go up. 

I don't understand the hostility either. If they want to improve access for care then cover basic dental services under universal healthcare, that would solve it

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 10:54 PM, DDSER said:

From my experiences as an administrator in Ontario, insurance companies only pay at the level proposed by the fee guide, but some policies pay based on previous years fee guides so the amount is less because each year the prices go up. 

I don't understand the hostility either. If they want to improve access for care then cover basic dental services under universal healthcare, that would solve it

Well, it is a bit naive to suggest cover under Universal healthcare (UH).  I covered hospital call, and I get paid thru OHIP for that.  However, physicians get better compensation for after hour consult than I do (DDS / Oral Surgeon / Pedo), why?  who knows.   What is basic dental services?  According to them, routine exam and cleaning are not.  for them emergency services, such as pain, abscesses are.  There are Healthy Smile, welfare, first nation, disability etc.

Honestly, you don't really want to get into the umbrella of UH as a provider.  

Beside more and more services are taken of UH coverage, due to cost of new drugs, equipment etc.

Fee guide are reference.  You can charge whatever you want, but whether your patient will like it or go seek a second opinion it is a risk you have to take if you charge over fee guide. Patient shops around for cost....

13 hours ago, koft said:

Well, it is a bit naive to suggest cover under Universal healthcare (UH).  I covered hospital call, and I get paid thru OHIP for that.  However, physicians get better compensation for after hour consult than I do (DDS / Oral Surgeon / Pedo), why?  who knows.   What is basic dental services?  According to them, routine exam and cleaning are not.  for them emergency services, such as pain, abscesses are.  There are Healthy Smile, welfare, first nation, disability etc.

Honestly, you don't really want to get into the umbrella of UH as a provider.  

Beside more and more services are taken of UH coverage, due to cost of new drugs, equipment etc.

Fee guide are reference.  You can charge whatever you want, but whether your patient will like it or go seek a second opinion it is a risk you have to take if you charge over fee guide. Patient shops around for cost....

It's funny that a routine exam and cleaning are not part of basic dental services. If it were I think people would get more check-ups and a lot of pain can possibly be avoided

The average dental patient isn't too keen on going to the dentist due to the stigma around our profession i believe. Most people just see it as a way for a dentist to make a few quick buck by stating that there's a "problem" that they may not see. Most of the patients just think "i'm not in pain, i'm gonna be fine" or have that type of attitude. 

You go to your doctor for yearly physicals to prevent illness and to catch things early on. It's the same with dentistry, you should get a check up every 6-12 months to prevent illness. Unfortunately, our health care system is really focused on the provision of treatment and not the prevention stream. 

The only reason why emergency services are free is because they can potentially be life threatening due to spread of infection cause swelling of the throat etc etc. 

4 hours ago, cookiemonster99 said:

It's funny that a routine exam and cleaning are not part of basic dental services. If it were I think people would get more check-ups and a lot of pain can possibly be avoided

The average dental patient isn't too keen on going to the dentist due to the stigma around our profession i believe. Most people just see it as a way for a dentist to make a few quick buck by stating that there's a "problem" that they may not see. Most of the patients just think "i'm not in pain, i'm gonna be fine" or have that type of attitude. 

You go to your doctor for yearly physicals to prevent illness and to catch things early on. It's the same with dentistry, you should get a check up every 6-12 months to prevent illness. Unfortunately, our health care system is really focused on the provision of treatment and not the prevention stream. 

The only reason why emergency services are free is because they can potentially be life threatening due to spread of infection cause swelling of the throat etc etc. 

You know the latest study suggested routine annual physical is not as valuable as you might think.   as far as I know OHIP is no longer paying for complete physical on an annual basis..

Archived