Premed 101 Forums

Need advice on applying this year

I will be starting my 3rd year of UG in September and I have been contemplating whether to try my hand at applications this year. However, I am facing several issues which I was hoping to get some guidance with.

First, I recently finished the MCAT and will be receiving my scores ~10 days before the deadline for OMSAS. I'm not quite sure how my scores will pan out, but I am hoping that I can at least meet the cutoffs for U of T.

Second, off the top of my head I only have 1 excellent reference (from job), and the other 2 I am still not quite sure who to ask. I was thinking of asking my PI for the 2nd one but I haven't had much significant interactions with her so I'm afraid that the letter may not be as strong.

My 3rd reference would possibly be from 1 of my volunteer supervisors. This is kind of a double-edged sword because I am currently active in 2 volunteer positions; in the first, I have limited hours (~20-30) but the supervisor would be able to really discuss my strengths in the letter, and in the second, I have more hours but less interaction with the supervisor. I am not sure which one would be better to go with for my 3rd reference.

I'm kind of in a tough position with the references because most of my significant activities have been school-related EC's that don't have a supervisor involved. 

Do you guys think it would be worth it to try applying this year given my situation?

You may be trying to apply too early with insufficient reference collateral built up.  I doesn't mean you should not try.   Go with the people that you think will be your best supporters. If you are working in a research lab, it should be included as one of your references.   If not the PI, is there a postdoc you are working with to write the letter instead ?   Using an EC with 20 hours of involvement as a reference is a little suspect.  I would only use it if you have no other options

Archived