Premed 101 Forums

Current Year GPA not looked at ... but in April post-interview?

Ok so after looking at past posts and the UBC Med requirements/FAQ.... I think I understand the adjusted GPA policy. Let me know if I misinterpreted anything.....

I'm starting 3rd year now so this is hypothetical/planning for next summer....

So say I'm starting 4th year in September 2018. I have 30 credits registered for the two upcoming winter semesters. I have 31 credits from 1st year, 32 credits from 2nd year, and 30 credits from 3rd year = 93 credits completed. No Co-Op, no exchange. I apply that September with those 93 credits. That GPA will not be adjusted because I don't have at least 120 credits completed by June 1st, 2018 and therefore cannot drop the 30 credits from the lowest year. Ok... say I get an interview with that GPA. I do the interview in February 2019. And then on April 30, I complete 120 (probably 123) credits. NOW at this time post-interview they DROP my worst 30 credits?? And then use that NEW ADJUSTED GPA to reevaluate my profile and then get a response in May 2019? So essentially BOOSTING GPA's in 4th year CAN potentially help with that current application cycle? BUT if in Dec 2018, I get no interview.... then too bad those 4th years grades can only be used for the following cycle in september 2019 and I will have an adjusted GPA to use pre-interview? 

2 hours ago, polarispfk said:

Ok so after looking at past posts and the UBC Med requirements/FAQ.... I think I understand the adjusted GPA policy. Let me know if I misinterpreted anything.....

I'm starting 3rd year now so this is hypothetical/planning for next summer....

So say I'm starting 4th year in September 2018. I have 30 credits registered for the two upcoming winter semesters. I have 31 credits from 1st year, 32 credits from 2nd year, and 30 credits from 3rd year = 93 credits completed. No Co-Op, no exchange. I apply that September with those 93 credits. That GPA will not be adjusted because I don't have at least 120 credits completed by June 1st, 2018 and therefore cannot drop the 30 credits from the lowest year. Ok... say I get an interview with that GPA. I do the interview in February 2019. And then on April 30, I complete 120 (probably 123) credits. NOW at this time post-interview they DROP my worst 30 credits?? And then use that NEW ADJUSTED GPA to reevaluate my profile and then get a response in May 2019? So essentially BOOSTING GPA's in 4th year CAN potentially help with that current application cycle? BUT if in Dec 2018, I get no interview.... then too bad those 4th years grades can only be used for the following cycle in september 2019 and I will have an adjusted GPA to use pre-interview? 

No, a current year's GPA is never used in that application cycle. A full 120 credits must be completed by June 1 the year of application to get an adjusted GPA. 

If you receive an interview, they don't even look at your current year's grades until after offers are sent. Only people accepted or waitlisted need to send in an updated transcript (and only to make sure your overall GPA hasn't dropped more than 5%).

4 hours ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

No, a current year's GPA is never used in that application cycle. A full 120 credits must be completed by June 1 the year of application to get an adjusted GPA. 

If you receive an interview, they don't even look at your current year's grades until after offers are sent. Only people accepted or waitlisted need to send in an updated transcript (and only to make sure your overall GPA hasn't dropped more than 5%).

So it can't even help you when you're on the waitlist.... I wonder why though... There's plenty of time for grades to be submitted between final exams in April and May offers. 

And i guess the effect of this is that it gives applicants that already graduated by June 1 an advantage! Hence the average age of the entering class being 24 years old? 

So then during that application period from May to the following May people travel, work, volunteer, or do a masters? And then if it doesn't work out then try again or pursue something else I guess huh 

21 hours ago, polarispfk said:

So it can't even help you when you're on the waitlist.... I wonder why though... There's plenty of time for grades to be submitted between final exams in April and May offers. 

And i guess the effect of this is that it gives applicants that already graduated by June 1 an advantage! Hence the average age of the entering class being 24 years old? 

So then during that application period from May to the following May people travel, work, volunteer, or do a masters? And then if it doesn't work out then try again or pursue something else I guess huh 

Well I got my offer on May 12 and didn't get most of my final grades until around May 15th, so I don't think it's feasible for updated transcripts to be sent in, let alone feasible for admissions staff to evaluate ~650 updated transcripts for the interviewed applicants in the time frame you're describing.

I wouldn't say that anyone gets an advantage - the rules are the same for everyone and most applicants don't receive an adjusted GPA  in their first application cycle if they apply while still in undergrad. By your logic, one could even argue that a 26 year old has an advantage over 22 year olds because they are older and have had more time to build their EC's and employment history!

The June 1st deadline is earlier than many other schools, but perhaps it helps admissions get a better picture of who applicants are in their day-to-day lives by eliminating the incentive for applicants to pad their resumes by cramming in activities they aren't genuinely invested in during the summer just for the sake of med applications.

Archived