Premed 101 Forums

Re-applicant re-wording NAQ even though good score and interview...

Hey - quick question - some advice please? 

I have some new activities to add to my application but I'm also thinking about editing my previous entries. I have a mid-30s NAQ score and did receive an interview last cycle... 

Is this advisable or a bit of a risk? It's so hard to tell whether my new wording is stronger ... I feel like it could be (applying the tips I used last year but with new eyes - active tense, concise, descriptive, etc.)... but I'm also messing with the application that got me an interview.

Hmm..

:/

This happened to someone I know who applied a year ago, he didn't change nor edit his previous entries because he got an interview the year before. When he applied the second time, he added more activities, yet his NAQ dropped by 8-10 points (his estimation). I believe your descriptions are already solid, but no one can really tell since NAQ scoring fluctuates a lot every year as the pool of applicants vary greatly! 

Good luck on your application nonetheless :)

4 hours ago, medhopeful25 said:

This happened to someone I know who applied a year ago, he didn't change nor edit his previous entries because he got an interview the year before. When he applied the second time, he added more activities, yet his NAQ dropped by 8-10 points (his estimation). I believe your descriptions are already solid, but no one can really tell since NAQ scoring fluctuates a lot every year as the pool of applicants vary greatly! 

Good luck on your application nonetheless :)

That's odd... dropping NAQ by 8-10 points? thats not really possible, regardless of the applicant pool (especially when it's only one year difference and I'm guessing a good 50%+ of the applicants are probably still the same people). I personally think it's either a different criteria used by the evaluator, a different evaluator, or your friend's verifiers accidentally/intentionally screwing him over. As far as I know, if your verifiers do not verify your activity, UBC will just exclude it, which may have a big impact if it's a major activity for your friend.

Actually, that same person actually emailed the admission because he couldn't believe for that huge drop in his NAQ score, considering his AGPA didn't change much (in fact it increase by 0.X%) but the only response he got was a general info stating that an 8-10 point drop is normal because every year UBC deals with a different pool of applicants (although I am not saying that the application pool is completely comprised of new individuals).

10 hours ago, doctorUBC said:

I don't think there's any harm to editing your entries in a way that you feel would make it stronger. The reason the NAQ sometimes fluctuates each year despite the same activities and perhaps even the same wording is that the applicant pool differs and becomes stronger each year. 

It is not just the variation in the applicant pool solely unfortunately. It is very likely difference in reviewers too.

If it was just variation in applicant pool, its less likely you would see 10pt variances etc.

Just apart of the process to be expected.

8 hours ago, yych208 said:

That's odd... dropping NAQ by 8-10 points? thats not really possible, regardless of the applicant pool (especially when it's only one year difference and I'm guessing a good 50%+ of the applicants are probably still the same people). I personally think it's either a different criteria used by the evaluator, a different evaluator, or your friend's verifiers accidentally/intentionally screwing him over. As far as I know, if your verifiers do not verify your activity, UBC will just exclude it, which may have a big impact if it's a major activity for your friend.

If your verifier does not get back to them, they reach out to the applicant to figure out what's going on. They would not simply just drop it. However if they reply back and say "no" they cannot verify etc, perhaps youre right..but I would think it would be appropriate to still reach out to the applicant to see what is going on? Benefit of the doubt etc.

Archived