Premed 101 Forums

Book recommendations

luciferase

Does anyone have any good book recommendations ?

Anything about the health care system or pertaining to ethical dilemmas or interesting perspectives regarding the meaning of life  or  any genre/ style really 

Just looking for something interesting and informative to read  

Thanks in advance! :)

In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts by Gabor Mate. Really well written and an interesting read if you have any interest in working with addiction and vulnerable populations (or even if you don't!). It's written by a doctor who has worked for many years in the Vancouver downtown east side. It weaves in a lot of scientific information along with clinical experiences and personal stories. 

The Night Shift by Brian Goldman I found to be a very revealing read, both for its presentation of the medical system from an ER perspective in Canada as well as the way he and other physicians adapt to work within the system. I didn't fully agree with some of his coping mechanisms dealing with the realities of medicine (which included what I found to be a bit-too-casual justification for using prescription medications to boost alertness at night), but the relatively nuanced, forthright, and honest way he presented his viewpoints I found to be perfect for physicians trying to communicate with both the public and future physicians.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2017 at 2:38 AM, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts by Gabor Mate. Really well written and an interesting read if you have any interest in working with addiction and vulnerable populations (or even if you don't!). It's written by a doctor who has worked for many years in the Vancouver downtown east side. It weaves in a lot of scientific information along with clinical experiences and personal stories. 

Great book!

This isn't related to health care, but an outstanding book I've read recently is called "Night" by Elie Wiesel. Written by a Holocaust survivor. It's difficult to read, and very dark/sad, but very powerful as well. 

Another outstanding book of a similar genre is called "The Boy With the Striped Pajamas." Rips out your heart and tears it to shreds. 

"Wonder" by RJ Palacio is fantastic too.

For something really fun, though, I'd recommend "Hyperbole and a Half." Such a gem!

• 2 weeks later...

The Other Side by Dr. Kate Granger, and its sequel The Bright Side. A young physician in the UK keeps a journal of her experience as a patient with an incurable cancer diagnosis. It is beautiful work; very raw. 

I also second the Atul Gawande suggestion. 

• 1 month later...

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. Memoir about a neurosurgery resident in the States who near the end of his training is diagnosed with stage IV met lung cancer. Has been compared heavily to and lauded by Atul Gawande.

I picked it up randomly in an airport duty free shop and couldn't put it down.

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2017 at 11:29 AM, _gettingthere_ said:

All of Atul Gawande's books are great & offer different perspectives about things like end of life care, making & coming back from mistakes made in healthcare environments, interesting cases, etc. Would recommend 

On 11/12/2017 at 10:32 AM, cleanup said:

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. Memoir about a neurosurgery resident in the States who near the end of his training is diagnosed with stage IV met lung cancer. Has been compared heavily to and lauded by Atul Gawande.

I picked it up randomly in an airport duty free shop and couldn't put it down.

+++ Second both these recommendations, Atul's books add to that out of the box perspective as well as a very relevant approach to the dying process that I still integrate into my own patients

• 3 months later...
On 8/27/2017 at 6:31 AM, ralk said:

The Night Shift by Brian Goldman I found to be a very revealing read, both for its presentation of the medical system from an ER perspective in Canada as well as the way he and other physicians adapt to work within the system. I didn't fully agree with some of his coping mechanisms dealing with the realities of medicine (which included what I found to be a bit-too-casual justification for using prescription medications to boost alertness at night), but the relatively nuanced, forthright, and honest way he presented his viewpoints I found to be perfect for physicians trying to communicate with both the public and future physicians.

Great book!

• 1 month later...

The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee

A fantastic read approaching the topic from both a historical perspective and the author's own experiences with patients. He also delves into more recent advances in molecular biology/genetics in way that I though was really engaging.

Archived