Premed 101 Forums

Amino Acids Qs

FiftyshadesofMD

Hey guys,

Anyone wrote the MCAT during the past couple of weeks can shed some light on how heavy the test(s) was/were on amino acid structures, polarity/acidity etc. ? Were there questions like those found on AAMC prep materials, which require sheer memorization of their structures, names, etc ? 

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but from what I've read and heard (multiple sources), yes, you really should memorize amino acid names, structures, and abbreviations (1 letter and 3 letters). How important they are varies from exam to exam, but don't take the risk and just do it. This video helped me a bit :)

make sure you know all the amino acids structures and everything there were at least 3 questions on mine where I needed to just know the structure(i took it last year). I have found that ALL of my friends also had similar questions like this. So yes do know the structures well -- i usually wrote them all out at the beginning during the tutorial. My cousin took it last week and also found a few questions like this. Hope this helps! 

Wrote a few weeks ago, definitely know your amino acids, charge, polarity, where would you most likely find them, three and  one letter abbreviations.

there is never something that you should not learn, anything is fair game, and you will definitely see somethings that will make you question your existence. Study as much as you can and practice. Don't forget CARS!

2 hours ago, hartk48 said:

Wrote a few weeks ago, definitely know your amino acids, charge, polarity, where would you most likely find them, three and  one letter abbreviations.

there is never something that you should not learn, anything is fair game, and you will definitely see somethings that will make you question your existence. Study as much as you can and practice. Don't forget CARS!

Thank you for the input. i kinda learned them, a few per day and I think I know them very well now ! CARS is a killer... Still doing passages lol 

Archived