Premed 101 Forums

Is it possible to be rejected pre-interview even after meeting cutoffs?

Apparently there have been instances of people who met the GPA and MCAT scores for a given year not being granted an interview. Perhaps it was poor or suspect LORs, I can only speculate. It's really not a common occurrence though - any candidate who meets the cutoffs should be fairly confident of receiving an interview.

I was initially rejected pre-interview this past cycle despite having met the cut-offs, so this is what they mean by that. My issue was related to the course numbering, however I felt that in my specific situation it was unfair. I contacted them, pleaded my case and within a week received an interview. You lose nothing by fighting for it if you meet the cutoffs.

17 hours ago, SunAndMoon said:

I was initially rejected pre-interview this past cycle despite having met the cut-offs, so this is what they mean by that. My issue was related to the course numbering, however I felt that in my specific situation it was unfair. I contacted them, pleaded my case and within a week received an interview. You lose nothing by fighting for it if you meet the cutoffs.

I do not mean to intrude but what was your situation? I am 1 course shy of having the 3/5 rule apply to me and wanted to know if they could let that slide.

6 hours ago, Captrex_501stlegion said:

I do not mean to intrude but what was your situation? I am 1 course shy of having the 3/5 rule apply to me and wanted to know if they could let that slide.

I contested mostly based on what I perceived to be an unfair decision based on differences in course numbering between Ontario and French Quebec schools. If I was in your situation I think I would argue about whether I had a choice in taking those courses at all (if they were mandatory courses vs if they were electives that I picked, in which case you don't have much to stand on unfortunately).

One thing I really appreciated about Schulich Admissions is that they were willing to listen. They're very reasonable and kind people.

17 hours ago, SunAndMoon said:

I contested mostly based on what I perceived to be an unfair decision based on differences in course numbering between Ontario and French Quebec schools. If I was in your situation I think I would argue about whether I had a choice in taking those courses at all (if they were mandatory courses vs if they were electives that I picked, in which case you don't have much to stand on unfortunately).

One thing I really appreciated about Schulich Admissions is that they were willing to listen. They're very reasonable and kind people.

Thank you! I will make sure to talk to them.

I have had several cases of no interviews being granted pre interview but making the cut offs in the past and all but one of those was upon closer inspection reversed and an interview granted. No school is ever going to guarantee anything - it boxes them in and they want the freedom to if necessary reject someone that they feel is abusing a rule. I mean if they already know you have been expelled from a medical school for instance for unprofessional behaviour then why would they waste time interviewing you?

Still at Western they are quite reasonable etc and if you think you are mistakenly not granted an interview then absolutely contract them to have it redressed. 

Archived