Premed 101 Forums

Possibility of CARS cutoff lowering to 128 with the introduction of psych

Sooooo, I was wondering about this same thing. ( I also have a CARS 128) I just phoned admissions and they told me that they never know from year to year what the Cut-off will be for the CARS for the Non-SWOMEN applicants. I also inquired as to whether or not Western would be looking at the Psych/Soci Mcat numbers.  I was told this has not been determined yet.  So, I guess my take on this info, is that I will apply!  Good luck!

I'll be very surprised if they don't look at P/S ... They didn't want to previously because the old MCAT didn't have it, but there is literally no reason not to now. I expect it to have a pretty low cutoff though, like C/P. They probably gave that answer on the phone just so they're not stuck telling applicants something. 

I think cutoffs will be 126/129/128/127. I think after they get the 2000 or so applicants they get every year, if they drop it to 128 they're going to have way more than 400 people meeting the cutoffs. They also seem to prioritise CARS at the school, so there's also that. 

On 9/6/2017 at 1:38 AM, tavenan said:

I'll be very surprised if they don't look at P/S ... They didn't want to previously because the old MCAT didn't have it, but there is literally no reason not to now. I expect it to have a pretty low cutoff though, like C/P. They probably gave that answer on the phone just so they're not stuck telling applicants something. 

I think cutoffs will be 126/129/128/127. I think after they get the 2000 or so applicants they get every year, if they drop it to 128 they're going to have way more than 400 people meeting the cutoffs. They also seem to prioritise CARS at the school, so there's also that. 

I too am sitting at a 128 CARS, and I also think those will be the cut-offs for the reasons you mentioned unfortunately. I've been thinking about re-writing lately but I don't want to jump the gun too soon; how many cycles would you guys apply with a 128 CARS before re-writing, assuming cutoff stays at 129 this year? I'm thinking two more cycles?

On 08/09/2017 at 4:26 PM, Morinphen said:

I too am sitting at a 128 CARS, and I also think those will be the cut-offs for the reasons you mentioned unfortunately. I've been thinking about re-writing lately but I don't want to jump the gun too soon; how many cycles would you guys apply with a 128 CARS before re-writing, assuming cutoff stays at 129 this year? I'm thinking two more cycles?

If there aren't a lot of other schools that you have a good shot at then I would rewrite immediately as I don't think the CARS cutoff will ever drop to 128. What's more likely is the cutoff jumping to 130 some years and then back to 129 the next year like how the old verbal cutoff used to move around.

12 hours ago, obiwankenobi said:

Wouldn't the total add up to 508 because the old total was 30? Also, what do you guys think the SWOMEN cutoff will be? I think it will be 125/125/126/125 with a minimum total of 508. 

why do you think the bio section would be 126? Currently, the chem/phys section is 126 so i'd bet that would make more sense don't you think?  

Omg I hope the psych cut-off isn't too high. I have 130+ in the other 3 sections, but a 127 in psych. It would be tragic if I didn't get an invite because of psych, and definitely not worth rewriting for a better psych score. I'm hoping they don't add it in, but in all likelihood the psych cut-off shouldn't have that great of an influence on the CARS cut-off, as CARS is usually the limiting score for many people.

16 hours ago, DrMeme said:

SWOMEN will most likely remain the same. Maybe CARS could go up to 126 but I don't see the rest going any higher (maybe Chem/Phys). It is pretty hard to predict if CARS could go down for regular applicants. Kinda like if UOttawa wants to include the MCAT or not.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I could see it swinging either way. Especially since the old MCAT is being phased out, it's entirely possible they won't have enough people with 129 CARS for this cycle

4 hours ago, cusMar said:

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I could see it swinging either way. Especially since the old MCAT is being phased out, it's entirely possible they won't have enough people with 129 CARS for this cycle

That is possible. I just think the difference between a 128 and 129 is so high that there might be too many people that would meet a 128 CARS cutoff.

128: 83-90th percentile. So 17% of test takers would theoretically qualify

129: 90-95th percentile. 10% of test takers would theoretically qualify.

Ultimately I guess we all have to wait and see. 

13 minutes ago, tavenan said:

That is possible. I just think the difference between a 128 and 129 is so high that there might be too many people that would meet a 128 CARS cutoff.

128: 83-90th percentile. So 17% of test takers would theoretically qualify

129: 90-95th percentile. 10% of test takers would theoretically qualify.

Ultimately I guess we all have to wait and see. 

The old 11 was 84-95th percentile, so considering this there is a chance that they would appropriate amount of interviewees even with 128 as CARS. It all really depends on how much they value psych i guess.