Premed 101 Forums

8 minutes ago, Ross said:

Hello,

I am a medical student at Universite de Sherbrooke and I wanted to know for residency is it possible for me getting a spot in Ontario? How does it work exactly and is it doable? 

Thanks

I am sure it is possible. It would be ideal if you do an elective in the university that you are seeking to do your residency at.

http://carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Table_42_Distribution_of_Matched_CMGs_From_School_of_Graduation_to_School_of_Residency_English.pdf

^ this matrix shows the distribution of MDs between school of graduation and school of residency. In 2017, does not look like a lot of Sherbrooke grads went to Ontario except for 1 to UOttawa. But this could be a preference thing. If you want Ontario, go for it.

You can set up an account and apply through the AFMC portal -https://www.afmcstudentportal.ca.

In general, you should try to electives in areas that you're interested in and want to residency in.  Some programs are more competitive than others.  At Sherbrooke, you are not allocated as many electives and they are at the beginning of MS3 (it is changing for the 2021 cohort) which can be disadvantageous since you haven't done core rotations.  

Ottawa could be advantageous since there are many French speakers and thus you would have an edge.  

Unfortunately there's little choice: the three pre-CaRMS elective blocks are all at the beginning of clerkship, which is your only opportunity to do away electives (unless you're 2021+).  My understanding is the three year schools have those kinds of issues as well - you just would have to hope for an understanding preceptor who evaluates you based on your performance given your experience at that point (which is possibly another reason why there is very little out of province flow).  

Ross,

When I rotated at UOttawa 18 months ago, there was a medical student from Sherbrooke doing an elective rotation in General Surgery. It was his first clerkship rotation ever. 

Definitely doable, but Université de Sherbrooke structure for elective make it difficult to impress attendings in my opinion (elective rotations are too early in the curriculum).

I am not sure where this student matched down the road however.

Since we get 3 straight elective periods and are limited to 2 electives in the same discipline, I honestly just plan on using the first period on my 2nd backup, 2nd peiod in my true backup and then the last one in my 1st choice unless I can't make it work in terms of scheduling. That way, I'd treat the first ones as practice since I can't do them in my first choice anyway.

15 hours ago, Med0123 said:

Ross,

When I rotated at UOttawa 18 months ago, there was a medical student from Sherbrooke doing an elective rotation in General Surgery. It was his first clerkship rotation ever. 

Definitely doable, but Université de Sherbrooke structure for elective make it difficult to impress attendings in my opinion (elective rotations are too early in the curriculum).

I am not sure where this student matched down the road however.

But why is it difficult to impress?

Also, how do you apply for an elective rotation at another uni?

1 hour ago, Bambi said:

Virtually impossible to obtain a LOR on first rotation

Out of curiosity, how long would you say it takes for a clerk to be "good" enough to get a LOR? If we get 12 straight weeks of electives, what would you recommend I schedule the first few weeks in to get the most experience possible and how ready do you think it is possible to be for the last 4-6 weeks as far as getting LOR and impressing goes?

3 hours ago, Snowmen said:

Out of curiosity, how long would you say it takes for a clerk to be "good" enough to get a LOR? If we get 12 straight weeks of electives, what would you recommend I schedule the first few weeks in to get the most experience possible and how ready do you think it is possible to be for the last 4-6 weeks as far as getting LOR and impressing goes?

Hopefully, Med0123 will chime in on this one.

Actually I was really interested in OBS-GYN and I did an elective before the core. When I asked for a LOR, I was refused and told my knowledge base was insufficient. In the end, it did not matter as I got the interview st that school anyhow, but my experience would have been more fruitful had I waited for this elective. Very early on, I did an elective in GYN-ONC. It was overwhelming, although I did love it. I was thrown into the deep end too soon and all were too busy to teach me anything. I had to find my way to fit in and to contribute. I am not the one to answer your question as I did not do it right. And Med0123 has proven me wrong. I would not schedule the first two rotations for anything I thought might seriously interest me.

• 3 months later...

A little late to the discussion... but for future students, if your electives are all at the beginning of clerkship, you have no choice but to pick fields of interest. Do not waste an elective just to warm up to clerkship. Electives are precious. Since your elective is 4 weeks long, focus on significantly improving during your elective and being a good team player. I got LOR from my first electives. Unfortunately, quality of LOR would probably be better had it been a later stage, but you have to do the best you can with the situation you’re given.