Premed 101 Forums

getting loan

If attending a Canadian medical school, the major Canadian banks will give a med student up to $275K LOC with no co-signer required. You can still access LOC's from Canadian banks for med school outside of Canada, but a co-signer is typically required. 

The banks will apply financial tests against your co-signer(s) as if they were applying for the loan. The banks will look at your parents capital, access to free cash, as well as past and current employment income. Being on social assistance a year ago would show up as recent past employment history.   If they are working now and the income is sufficient to cover a $275K LOC it should be OK.

I had a difficult time getting a loan. I studied in Israel which was not that expensive compared to Aus or Ireland or most UK schools. My Dad was not an acceptable co-signer for most banks. We finally got a loan from the National Bank of Canada somehow. Every other bank rejected us. From what I recall, my LOC went up to $125 K or $150 K. Due to financial constraints, I had to be very careful of where I applied or even considered studying. US schools were not an option because of cost. 

Archived