Premed 101 Forums

UofT Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted

Hii everyone!! 

Can anyone who was accepted or rejected or wait listed to the UofT physicians assistant program post the following: 

GPA- 

COMPLETED MORE THAN 910 HOURS- yes or no

THE DIFFERENT HEALTHCARE EXPERIENCE- 

Please help future applicants out! Thank youu to anyone who posts :)

Hi mkd,

I am a first year PA student in the U of T Program. Just to note, the 910hours is a minimum requirement. Your application will not be considered if you have less than 910hours.

My application GPA was 3.78  (up to 1st semester of 3rd year undergrad...2nd semester wasn't included, but would've brought it up).

I completed about 1000hrs in various settings: clinical hospital elderly rehab volunteering, optometry assistant, ophthalmic technician (taking histories, ocular "vitals", diagnostic testing), pharmacy assistant, a few journal publications including an Ontario PA literature review.

I will say that quality clinical experience is definitely what is valued. Almost everyone in my class is some sort of "expert" in something (maybe not officially but they're built up strong knowledge, skills or attitudes). The supplementary application questions are definitely also super important. I'd say between the 3 aspects of the application, Experience > Essay answers > GPA (from my personal experience. This is in no way official).

Some unofficial stats from my year (just from getting to know everyone):

• 3 International medical graduates (AKA MDs trained outside of North America. Venezuela, India & Pakistan)
  • 1 Nurse, 1 Pharmacist, 1 Radiation Therapist, 1 primary school teacher, 1 Kinesiologist + Pharmacy rep
  • A few worked in autopsy & organ donation
  • Many (~8?) have clinical research experience in the form of master's degrees (HIV studies, hemophilia studies, another PA study, etc), and about 6-8 have completed a BSc somewhere in Ontario and gained similar experience to mine (pharmacy, volunteering, research).
  • All others have some sort of experience working with patients and physicians in different settings such as psychiatry, family health teams, hospital patient flow coordinator and other volunteering

Hope this information helps! As far as prepping for the entire process (including MMI), I'd definitely advise you to get your reading on! Read everything and anything you can about PAs in Ontario (and other places) to develop a strong understanding of the profession and the aspects of yourself that would make a great PA, so that you can demonstrate these in your application. Knowledge = confidence. Good luck to everyone!

Archived