Premed 101 Forums

Backing up - how do you make it to all the interviews?

doc_doc_doc

So I'm applying to a competitive specialty and backing up with family medicine.

Looking at the CaRMS program descriptions, many interview dates are up. I'm noticing a lot of my main specialty dates coincide with family medicine dates or with the same specialty for other programs.

Now I know I likely won't get every interview I apply for. But even if I got half, I'd have a hard time attending. How did people balance this? Are family medicine programs flexible with dates? It's daunting to look and realize you may not be able to make it to any of the interviews for your backup or may have to sacrifice primary specialty interviews for the backup!

Well, all you can do is to try to fit in as many interviews as you can. If you're getting a lot of interviews for your first choice specialty, I would take that as a sign that you are a strong candidate, taking the pressure off your backup interviews. Unless you're on the fence re: career choice or need a specific location, I would never suggest dropping any first choice program interviews to do an extra interview at a second choice program. Just prep for your interviews, similar to med school admissions.

If this field is truly competitive as you said, it wouldn't be unusual for perfectly decent candidates to get fewer interviews than they had hoped for, therefore freeing up time for backup interviews. That being said, you just need one program to rank you high enough to match :) 

Archived