Premed 101 Forums

Does a verifier for a job absolutely have to be a direct supervisor?

As a recent grad newly starting off in the professional world (~3 months in), I'm in a bit of an awkward situation with this year's medical school applications. My position is ongoing - full training for this position takes about a year. While I am not on any sort of contract, the unspoken expectation is that this is a long term position (at least 2-3 years?).

As many schools ask you to have your direct supervisor/boss listed as a verifier for paid job positions, I'm wondering what options I have here. Would it be too much of a stretch to list a senior coworker who is involved in training me (and more sympathetic to my situation) rather than my supervisor, as doing so could possibly compromise my work environment/relationships? 

I was not completely forthcoming during the interview process about my future plans (as they were not concrete - I was considering skipping an application cycle) and if I am not accepted this year (or perhaps ever..), I hope to continue working at this job. 

Any advice?