Premed 101 Forums

Self-taught skills

mildliner

I've recently started the second year of my undergrad and I've been teaching myself Korean for the past 6ish months. Does anyone have any insights on how self-taught skills are viewed on an application? Not only languages but perhaps coding or instruments for instance. I'm wondering if it's better to take classes and give up the flexibility of independent learning just to be able to have a reference that can attest to your competence in that skill.

If you have room include it :) If you only have room for 1 more entry and you have to choose between something like formal music lessons with associated performances and an entry about self-taught language (assuming both activities have similar time commitments), I would go with the more formally structured music lessons because they seem more official/impressive (to me - others might disagree). 

What about things like writing? I am writing an SF novel of which I know has a chance next to 0% of getting published via the traditional pathway.

How do you prove things like that since anyone can be "writing" in their spare time?  Should I be aiming to self-publish the novel?  

Also, 나도 한국말 배우고 있어 ㅎ (I'm learning Korean too so I can watch those Korean Twitch streams lol) 

11 hours ago, mildliner said:

I've recently started the second year of my undergrad and I've been teaching myself Korean for the past 6ish months. Does anyone have any insights on how self-taught skills are viewed on an application? Not only languages but perhaps coding or instruments for instance. I'm wondering if it's better to take classes and give up the flexibility of independent learning just to be able to have a reference that can attest to your competence in that skill.

Someone credible can attest to your skills, e.g., if you self-teach yourself a language and are able to speak/carry on a conversation with with someone in their mother tongue, that person can vouch for your proficiency I would think.

On 9/20/2017 at 0:29 AM, Olle said:

What about things like writing? I am writing an SF novel of which I know has a chance next to 0% of getting published via the traditional pathway.

How do you prove things like that since anyone can be "writing" in their spare time?  Should I be aiming to self-publish the novel?  

Also, 나도 한국말 배우고 있어 ㅎ (I'm learning Korean too so I can watch those Korean Twitch streams lol) 

That's too funny - I hear those Korean Twitch streams can be quite addictive!!!

Archived