Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letter Unmasking

Dermviser

6 minutes ago, Dermviser said:

Short list of candidates from the gitgo? How so, simply based from the individuals' away rotation?

I have heard of this for some of the smaller programs. Like already from student rotations they know who they want to seriously consider further vs who they definitely will not consider further. 

4 minutes ago, ZBL said:

I have heard of this for some of the smaller programs. Like already from student rotations they know who they want to seriously consider further vs who they definitely will not consider further. 

That's unfortunate for some students that weren't able to get the away rotation..

I'd suspect those students fall into a zone where their file is strongly considered without a preconceived positive or negative bias, but perhaps held in comparison to those who the program knows they want to interview. 

And i I think that makes sense for small programs. Do well on a rotation, probably get an interview. Have a stellar application, probably get an interview. Have both, probably get many interviews to many small programs. 

25 minutes ago, ZBL said:

And i I think that makes sense for small programs. Do well on a rotation, probably get an interview. Have a stellar application, probably get an interview. Have both, probably get many interviews to many small programs. 

Thank you ZBL. But back to my original question: 

Do some programs review and reject candidates before even reading their reference letters; they will review files before the reference letter unmasking date?

3 hours ago, Dermviser said:

Short list of candidates from the gitgo? How so, simply based from the individuals' away rotation?

Face time is critical. It is highly unlikely that a program is going to choose someone based upon their paper image and an interview, when they really have gotten to know other applicants and seen their work ethic, friendliness, collaborative skills, etc. 

On 24/9/2017 at 1:45 PM, Bambi said:

Face time is critical. It is highly unlikely that a program is going to choose someone based upon their paper image and an interview, when they really have gotten to know other applicants and seen their work ethic, friendliness, collaborative skills, etc. 

I couldn't agree more. I know for sure that some programs will rarely choose someone who didn't do at least a 2 weeks rotation there. And I've heard it from staff.

Archived