Premed 101 Forums

3rd year Med-School Requirements and When to Complete them?

I am currently a 2nd year student looking to apply to med-school at 3rd year. However I'm concerned about what I should be doing from now to 3rd year to be able to make this possible. I am looking to apply to: UofT, McMaster, Ottowa and Queens.

Post 2nd year summer break:

• Write MCAT
  • CASPer
  • Write Essays
  • Get letters of recommendation (3)?
  • Practice for Interview?
  • More EC and Research

During 3rd year??:

• Apply to Med-Schools?
  • Go to interviews?
  • (At what months does this exactly happen and do ANY of the things I mentioned above happen???)

I feel like I generally know when I should do these things, but I have no idea at what months I should start doing them and would appreciate some guidance and for someone to clarify some of the errors that I may have posted above.

BTW unrelated question, but how LONG should a letter of recommendations be (1-2 pages)?

Thank you

Familiarize yourself with this: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-dates/

Ensure you have the necessary pre-requisites for each school (only applies to U of T and Ottawa on your list).

Furthermore, there is no disadvantage applying in 3rd year at any of those schools except for U of T and even then if you have a strong enough cGPA that you don't need to drop courses, you will be competitive.

11 hours ago, Professor Actual Factual said:

Post 2nd year summer break:

• Write MCAT
  • CASPer
  • Write Essays
  • Get letters of recommendation (3)?
  • Practice for Interview?
  • More EC and Research

This is all good.

11 hours ago, Professor Actual Factual said:

BTW unrelated question, but how LONG should a letter of recommendations be (1-2 pages)?

Mine were all 1 page.

Archived