Premed 101 Forums

Activity and Verifier # in ABS Statements

How do we include the numbers for activities in the ABS Statement? The issue I am having is that I am writing about a research experience that involved (1) 8 months volunteer work followed by (2) summer paid employment (3) publication (4) presentation (5) award for presentation

I wanted to mention all of these components to cover the "scholar" component of the clusters, but do I have to include the activity number for each? and if the verifier is all the same, do I have to keep putting (1) to show the same verifier?

I want it to be clear what I am mentioning, but also don't want so much of my word count to be devoted to numbers in brackets :P

The instructions are clear:

“Therefore, you must provide the name, address and phone number of at least 1 contact person (verifier) for each activity. When citing activities in your brief personal essays and your ABS statements, include the relevant verifier number in brackets beside each activity, UME Enrolment Services may perform random checks of applicants’ verifiers.”

So put a verifier for each activity. If you have one verifier for several activities in one paragraph, put the number at the end of the paragraph. If you’ll talk about several activities, you can just have those numbers corresponding to the numbers of your sketch in the beginning. Use different brackets for them. Also don’t put spaces between the numbers and your words.

See examples below

[23]I did research for 8 months then worked for 2 months over the summer had a publication, a presentation and got an award. Word count: 23

[23] I did research for 8 months (1) then worked for 2 months over the summer (2) had a publication (3), a presentation (4) and got an award (5). Word count: 29

[23]I did research for 8 months(1) then worked for 2 months over the summer(2) had a publication(3), a presentation(4) and got an award(5). Word count: 23

If you remove the spaces, they don’t count as extra words.

Don't overthink it, humans are reading your essays and we'll understand what you mean. Good Luck!

1 hour ago, skyuppercutt said:

So put a verifier for each activity. If you have one verifier for several activities in one paragraph, put the number at the end of the paragraph. If you’ll talk about several activities, you can just have those numbers corresponding to the numbers of your sketch in the beginning. Use different brackets for them. Also don’t put spaces between the numbers and your words.

See examples below

[23]I did research for 8 months then worked for 2 months over the summer had a publication, a presentation and got an award. Word count: 23

[23] I did research for 8 months (1) then worked for 2 months over the summer (2) had a publication (3), a presentation (4) and got an award (5). Word count: 29

[23]I did research for 8 months(1) then worked for 2 months over the summer(2) had a publication(3), a presentation(4) and got an award(5). Word count: 23

If you remove the spaces, they don’t count as extra words.

Don't overthink it, humans are reading your essays and we'll understand what you mean. Good Luck!

Thank you! This was super helpful :) I will try not to stress over this anymore (too much haha)

1 hour ago, Cashews said:

I called admissions last month and they told me the words used to clarify verifier or activity number do not count towards the word count. 

Awesome I will keep this in mind as well!