Premed 101 Forums

Discussing 1 experience in multiple brief personal essays

For my brief personal essays, there is one experience (similar environment and job, but over 3 years) that I have used to illustrate examples in 3 of my essays. I have other examples from other experiences as well that do show diversity, but this type of role shows up in 3 essays. Is that ok? I just feel that this experience is so applicable to a lot of the points I want to address in my answers to these questions. 

Edit: I am talking about very different aspects of the experience (different situations and roles) for each essay, but it is all related to the same situation

Hm it's not really clear what you mean, you say it's the same job but different roles are described? Can you elaborate a bit? I know some people might say that you should use whatever examples you feel reflects your answer, even if they're the same, but I personally think it's better to show diversity in your experiences and answers and if there are other examples you can write about then use those. Even using the same job twice would be alright, but 3 times I think is too much. Choose the best essay that this experience fits in and then for the other 1 or 2, replace them. The exception is if the 3 examples from the same experience are truly different enough..

@barc16 Thank you for your response! :) Basically I worked in the same environment for 3 years. I was promoted each year and had different responsibilities. I am talking about different aspects of working in this same environment (kind of like 1 example from each year) in each of the essays. The examples I'm using for each essay are all very different, it's just that they all occurred in the similar context. I'm also talking about other examples from different experiences and settings. Just worried about having this common thread in 3 essays. 

I don't think its too ideal. Although its good that the examples are different, if they are all occuring essentially from the same ABS item, I would be worried that you are running the risk of not appearing diverse enough in your experiences. The same person will read all 4 of your BPEs so they will definitely begin to see a theme. If you have other experiences that are talking about anyway, maybe focus on a different one for each response and then use this job as a secondary example if you have the space.

That being said, obviously if this one experience is the best place to draw on experiences from then by all means go ahead. But still consider your options and if there are other ones that work well. What is much more important is that the question is actually answered and you are able to provide a good rationale and good example for your opinions and thought process. If those happen to come from the same place so be it, but try not to be too repetitive if that's the road you go down.

@robclem21 Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. I changed up my essays so that I talk about different experiences in all of them. The only overlap I have is one experience (different from the one I originally asked about) that I discussed in two essays - do you think 2 times is still too much? It's different aspects so I hope it's fine. Both mentions are only about 1-2 sentences.

Archived