Premed 101 Forums

OOP McGill Applicant Recommended courses question

TiceCube

Hi all!

I am currently applying to McGill as an Ontario resident and had a question about recommended courses vs required courses.  Seeing as I am now finishing my PhD, my undergraduate courses were quite some time ago- luckily McGill admissions confirmed 2008-2009 courses are the last ones they are considering this year, and my 2009-2010 courses are still valid.  

If your GPA in your prerequisite courses is strong (4.00), is it necessary to include all of the recommended courses?  I have a straight 4.00 throughout my undergraduate degree, so I'm comfortable adding them, I'm just struggling to line up the exact courses with those I've taken at my University (we have a Cell Physiology and Biochemistry that overlaps well with the Cell Bio and Metabolism requirement, but we don't really have an intro Molecular Biology course- not sure if Molecular Genetics or another biochemistry course would be better).  Does not including all four recommended courses hurt me?  I read the comments on it only helping if your required are out of date or lower grades, but I wasn't sure if there was more to it than just that.

Thank you for any help you are able to provide!

29 minutes ago, TiceCube said:

Hi all!

I am currently applying to McGill as an Ontario resident and had a question about recommended courses vs required courses.  Seeing as I am now finishing my PhD, my undergraduate courses were quite some time ago- luckily McGill admissions confirmed 2008-2009 courses are the last ones they are considering this year, and my 2009-2010 courses are still valid.  

If your GPA in your prerequisite courses is strong (4.00), is it necessary to include all of the recommended courses?  I have a straight 4.00 throughout my undergraduate degree, so I'm comfortable adding them, I'm just struggling to line up the exact courses with those I've taken at my University (we have a Cell Physiology and Biochemistry that overlaps well with the Cell Bio and Metabolism requirement, but we don't really have an intro Molecular Biology course- not sure if Molecular Genetics or another biochemistry course would be better).  Does not including all four recommended courses hurt me?  I read the comments on it only helping if your required are out of date or lower grades, but I wasn't sure if there was more to it than just that.

Thank you for any help you are able to provide!

Hey I had the same trouble looking for equivalency when I applied - and it was somewhat cryptic. The adcom had come back and told me to look at the course description of what they accept as from an applicant who did their undergrad at McGill and map the course descriptions against courses at your own undergrad institution. 

Since you have straight 4.00s, it wouldn't matter? Personally, I included all the recommended courses as well. I think they take the better of the two options so no harm in including the recommended courses. 

"If you have completed both OPTION 1 and OPTION 2, you will be evaluated using whichever set of courses is the most favorable to you."

No. Your OPTION 1 course aren't expired yet and you have a 4.00 OPTION 1 GPA... OPTION 2 course don't mater in your case, it's only helpful if your OPTION 1 courses are out of date or you have a significantly weaker OPTION 1 GPA.

If you really want to give the extra work to adcom and you've completed all of OPTION 2 coursework, but your courses don't line up individually with McGill FofS OPTION 2 courses, you can choose one course for each of the OPTION 2 course and mention in the comments box the course cluster that actually fulfills the requirement; it should be taken into consideration when they're reviewing your academic workbook.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived