Premed 101 Forums

I have a quick question, when most of you are saying "sGPA - 3.70 and cGPA - 3.54" how exactly are you calculating your GPA from grade percentages?

For example, using the ORPAS conversation table, your average grade percentage would be roughly 80 - 84% for 3.7 and roughly 76 - 82% for the 3.5 gpa.

I have roughly an 84% over my last 60 credits, would that put me at a 3.7 GPA? 

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-conversion-table/

Thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, funkygorilla said:

I have a quick question, when most of you are saying "sGPA - 3.70 and cGPA - 3.54" how exactly are you calculating your GPA from grade percentages?

For example, using the ORPAS conversation table, your average grade percentage would be roughly 80 - 84% for 3.7 and roughly 76 - 82% for the 3.5 gpa.

I have roughly an 84% over my last 60 credits, would that put me at a 3.7 GPA? 

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-conversion-table/

Thanks in advance 

There's a certain GPA value that corresponds to a certain range of grades (%). For example, as you said, 80-84 = 3.7. Therefore, if one person in your class got an 80 and you got an 84, you'd have a higher mark based on %, but you would have the exact same GPA (3.7) as the person who got the 80.

Now here's an example of calculating GPA:

5 random marks: 84 (3.7), 85 (3.9), 90 (4.0), 80 (3.7), 86 (3.9)

84 + 85 + 90 + 80 + 86 = 85 / 5 = 85 = your average (%)

3.7 + 3.9 + 4.0 + 3.7 + 3.9 / 5 = 3.84 = your GPA

You can also use the website whatsmygpa.ca to calculate your cGPA and sGPA.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response,

My one question regarding the calculation of sGPA.

If I use the letter grades I have received from my institution to calculate my GPA, I would roughly have a 3.6. If I used the grade percentages from my courses, I would have an 83% average. Using the ORPAS scale, that grade percentage would place me with a > 3.7GPA, which would be much more appealing to most Universities versus having a 3.6 GPA. 

How would you determine which method of calculating the sGPA would be correct? 

Thanks again

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2017 at 7:56 PM, funkygorilla said:

Thanks for the response,

My one question regarding the calculation of sGPA.

If I use the letter grades I have received from my institution to calculate my GPA, I would roughly have a 3.6. If I used the grade percentages from my courses, I would have an 83% average. Using the ORPAS scale, that grade percentage would place me with a > 3.7GPA, which would be much more appealing to most Universities versus having a 3.6 GPA. 

How would you determine which method of calculating the sGPA would be correct? 

Thanks again

Does your transcript show letter grade or percentage? If percentage shows then ORPAS should be using the percentage.

You have to factor in the weight of the course depending if it’s a half or full year.

ie.

half year course with 80-84% = 3.7 * 0.5

full year course with 80-84% = 3.7 * 1

do this for all courses in most recent completed 20 half credits for sGPA (or 10 full credits), then add them up and divide the total by the total number of courses/credits.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys do you know how they decide whether or not to take a term's courses, the tern's average (ex: spring courses) or a full year's course average?

If your last 20 is taken up by 5 (half credit) courses that add up into the FULL 20, will they take the averages of your fall/ winter in replacement of the spring instead of just taking the spring?  I am getting confusing information regarding what exactly they are taking.  

Thanks Guys :)

Archived