Premed 101 Forums

Canada to Australia

Just copying from my sdn post:

I am considering going to Australia, with the goal of matching into residency in Canada (family). However I have read through multiple posts around and it seems like the IMG route is very very difficult (aiming for elective in Canada, MCCQE, NAC OSCE, CAP?, etc. just to get an interview). It seems too high of a risk to play since there is no guarantee to be allowed to stay in Australia (let alone get an internship) nor match back in Canada, though I would guess that getting an intern spot in a rural location may be easier than matching in Canada. I am aware about DO being much much better, though I'm not as interested in doing residency in the US. Likely I would just go for nursing as it seems there is still a demand for BC nurses. 

Is there a reason you don't want to do FM residency in the US then come back to Canada to practice?

Provided you can get into a DO school, I don't think there's a good reason to pick Australia instead. Although if you are sure you would be happy in nursing, then that's always a good option too (especially with potentially doing NP and working in a rural area later).

If you know you want to do med though, I would thoroughly exhaust all available options. Don't just go into nursing unless you really think you'll enjoy it, or you could end up regretting not doing med later in life.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 10:17 PM, throwing50000coffeecups said:

I am considering going to Australia, with the goal of matching into residency in Canada (family). However I have read through multiple posts around and it seems like the IMG route is very very difficult (aiming for elective in Canada, MCCQE, NAC OSCE, CAP?, etc. just to get an interview). It seems too high of a risk to play since there is no guarantee to be allowed to stay in Australia (let alone get an internship) nor match back in Canada, though I would guess that getting an intern spot in a rural location may be easier than matching in Canada. I am aware about DO being much much better, though I'm not as interested in doing residency in the US. Likely I would just go for nursing as it seems there is still a demand for BC nurses. 

There are so many fear mongering I believe when it comes to this Internship issue . I have never heard a single Canadian students in Aussie that never got matched in Australia or Canada. Aussie students has the highest matching rate in Carms compared to any other country. Having said that , if you don't get into Canada , Australia is a much better to stay back and your chances go ten fold if you opt for Rural Preferential Pathway. NSW is one of the state that has a lot of Canadians. If you go to HETI, equilvalent to our CARMS all the stats in their Internship audit report shows out of 212 International students there only 4 did not get matched as of Feb 2017. A further updated reported on  their website today, Nov 1 2017 also shows there is still 11 more openings !! If you read their report, you will also notice that all International students who chose the Rural Pathway all got their 1st choice hospital compared to the Domestic applicants. CMI too has been renewed that gives Internationals more chance to stay back if for any reason they didn't make the earlier cut.

So, please do more detail research and I know nothing is guaranteed but those stats proofs all these fear mongering is baseless for now.Yes, things can change anytime but that is what so many people in this forum has been saying forever but the stats has always proved otherwise to date..

On 11/1/2017 at 1:46 PM, mommy said:

There are so many fear mongering I believe when it comes to this Internship issue . I have never heard a single Canadian students in Aussie that never got matched in Australia or Canada. Aussie students has the highest matching rate in Carms compared to any other country. Having said that , if you don't get into Canada , Australia is a much better to stay back and your chances go ten fold if you opt for Rural Preferential Pathway. NSW is one of the state that has a lot of Canadians. If you go to HETI, equilvalent to our CARMS all the stats in their Internship audit report shows out of 212 International students there only 4 did not get matched as of Feb 2017. A further updated reported on  their website today, Nov 1 2017 also shows there is still 11 more openings !! If you read their report, you will also notice that all International students who chose the Rural Pathway all got their 1st choice hospital compared to the Domestic applicants. CMI too has been renewed that gives Internationals more chance to stay back if for any reason they didn't make the earlier cut.

So, please do more detail research and I know nothing is guaranteed but those stats proofs all these fear mongering is baseless for now.Yes, things can change anytime but that is what so many people in this forum has been saying forever but the stats has always proved otherwise to date..

Great post, too bad i personally know 2. 

On 10/10/2017 at 10:17 PM, throwing50000coffeecups said:

Go to Australia, it will be a good time, you get to live in Australia for 4 years. You'll probably be able to come back for FM, if not just stay in Aus. Someone will take you somewhere in the world, prolly Aus, US or Can.

• 4 months later...

Just out of curiosity, what kind of resources do you use to help with the Australian applications?

Do you think speaking to an actual med student in Australia would be helpful?

I just feel that there are so many questions and it's very confusing when you are coming from so far away.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
On 11/2/2017 at 6:46 AM, mommy said:

I agree with this. If you want to stay for internship go to places like Queensland where there’s generally more intern spots for internationals. Every person I know who wanted to stay has been able to stay. 

This year they’ve changed things over and made it even better for internationals in Queensland, because your priority for internship is now equal to other Australians from out of State and it’s merit based, and because you rotate in Queensland you have a huge advantage. 

Also, if you want to do family med you can do 4 years there after you’re done and be qualified as a GP and then you can come back to Canada without any hurdles as a fully licensed family doc. And you get paid better through the process too! 

Archived