Premed 101 Forums

Where can we practice outside of Canada, without jumping through too many hoops?

The title says it all. Where can CMGs practice without jumping through too many hoops (read: less work tham USMLEs). Preferably interesting countries you would want to live in, not the kind of place you could visit with Doctors Without Borders. Bonus points for listing the benefits of practicing there.

Well, why do you want to practice somewhere else? That surely is more important than people offering up random places. 

There will be some oil rich countries you can practice in without too many hoops. Most of the westernized countries will have some hoops to jump through, similiar to USMLEs, as otherwise it would be "too easy" to immigrate there from "less desirable" places. 

If you just want to practice in the US and not do residency there, passing the USMLEs isnt nearly as difficult as actually scoring decently to secure a residency(from experience of peers).

Thanks...I forgot that you just had to pass the USMLEs to practice.

As for why: (1) I like moving around and exploring. I can't see my self in the same place for my entire career. (2) You never know when the region you're practicing in becomes unfriendly for physicians, so its wise to have options.

11 hours ago, PhD2MD said:

Thanks...I forgot that you just had to pass the USMLEs to practice.

As for why: (1) I like moving around and exploring. I can't see my self in the same place for my entire career. (2) You never know when the region you're practicing in becomes unfriendly for physicians, so its wise to have options.

yeah it isn't that hard to pass the USMLEs - a lot different for us than some one trying to do it get the specialty of choice. 

I thin we are allowed to write the UK exam directly if we write and pass the Canadian one. That might be another option. 

I think you can go to various countries around the world, but you might need to speak the language. It isn't easy though and very few do it. The benefits of being a doctor are certainly better than the vast majority of countries and a lot of the hardship is front ended compared to other countries which ends up deterring a lot of people from moving country. Certainly the country with the most Canadian expat docs is the US though. 

Archived