Interview Selection 2018 Cycle

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time stamp: 12:14 EST

Result: Interview

wGPA: 3.9

MCAT: 510

EC's: Hospital volunteer for 3 years,  Companion for Oncology Camp for 4 years, Board of Directors for 2 organizations, Therapeutic Riding, Research Publication, etc. Currently working in the realm of Quality Improvement and Patient Safety. 

Essay: Really happy with my essay

Year: Non-Student but I have a Master of Public Health

IP/OOP: OOP- Strong Connection. Lived in the Maritimes for a number of years

Time stamp: 1:13 AST

Result: Invite!

MCAT: 515

EC's: Varied. My strongest section will be employment as I am a current health care provider. Also have multiple publications and health related volunteer activities.

Essay: Feel good about it. Had multiple sources review it.

Year: Non-student, with a masters in physiotherapy

IP/OOP:  IP

Time stamp: 1:14PM EST

Result: Invite!

wGPA: 3.9

MCAT: 515

ECs: Hospital volunteering (little), tutoring, CAF Reserves as a medic, student trainer for 6 years, band, personal hobbies. 

Essay: Spent a lot of time on it this year and had lots of people review it and give feedback.

Year: 2nd year out of school

IP/OOP: IP, formally an OOP... nice to have this status back, I've lived in NS a total of 19/28 years lol

Time stamp: 12:13 EST

Result: Invite

MCAT: above OOP cut-offs

EC's: few thousand hours in medically-related employment, varied extracurriculars, teaching, average research (1 pub, conferences). Volunteering is definitely Achilles' heel.

Essay: Maritime essay was excellent. Unsure about other essay; wrote few days before and didn't address "why dal med" as much as I would have liked.

Year: non-student, Masters complete

IP/OOP: OOP

Thrilled. Love the school, the people, Halifax...can't wait to go back for a visit!

Clearly, the maritime essays matters a lot. Write so that you can convince the adcoms that you are committed to serving the Maritimes, no matter how tenuous your connection might be. Think about the school's values and demonstrate an understanding of the healthcare issues in the region. Provide evidence by tying this back to your experiences.

Time stamp: 12:14 PM EST

Result: Invite

MCAT: 522

EC's: Varied...Mental Health+Hospice volunteering, Research, Student Governance, 5 pubs and 1 under review

Essay: Spent a lot of time on the Maritime, structured it based on scientists I want to collaborate with as a physician scientists.

Year: Just finished PhD

IP/OOP: OOP

Did anyone else get this email from Carolyn Pelham regarding an address correction? I got an email saying there was a mistake and my interview is at St Johns ... but my interview notice already says St Johns and I thought all OOP interview in Halifax. Anyone else?

46 minutes ago, srsjkr said:

MCAT: 522

EC's: Varied...Mental Health+Hospice volunteering, Research, Student Governance, 5 pubs and 1 under review

Essay: Spent a lot of time on the Maritime, structured it based on scientists I want to collaborate with as a physician scientists.

Year: Just finished PhD

Did anyone else get this email from Carolyn Pelham regarding an address correction? I got an email saying there was a mistake and my interview is at St Johns ... but my interview notice already says St Johns and I thought all OOP interview in Halifax. Anyone else?

I got a similar email. They interview at 2 different campuses, either St John or Halifax. 

Time stamp: 12:14PM EST

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 523

EC's: RA experience, honours thesis (research), tutoring kids with learning disabilities, listening/crisis hotline, various clubs on campus

Essay: no real maritime connection

Year: 4th year psychology (hon.)

Time stamp: 1:14 PM ADT

wGPA: 3.92 (OMSAS)

MCAT: 508

EC's: Research at two teaching hospitals, 1 publication, university society

Essay: Went to Dal and lived in Halifax post-undergrad. Worked in NS healthcare system as a private industry supplier of medical products.

Year: Non-student, BSc. Microbiology & Immunology graduate

wGPA: 4.0 

MCAT: 511

EC's: Not that it matters at this point... but pretty standard with research being the strongest IMO. 

Essay: I thought it was good ... made a couple people cry. 

Year: Non-student 

IP/OOP: IP 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Time Stamp: Oct 19, 1:14 pm AST

Invite: Invite

IP/OOP: IP

wGPA: 3.94

MCAT: C/P 126; CARS 129; B/B 129; P/S 128 (512)

Essay: Better than my first application many moons ago. Above average maybe?

ECs: ~8 years research (7 publications, 2 first authors; conference; various research awards and scholarships), >5 years hospital volunteering, >4 years sighted guide, >2 years tutoring, student societies, hobbies: art, recreational sports, and long distance running

Posting stats for future applicants. Good luck to everyone who interviewed! Hope good news comes in March.

Does anyone know how many people were interviewed this year. My day was Sunday, the 26 and there were four groups A-D with 12 students each. I was told by one of the med students there that the same number of student were at the morning time slot. This would be 96 students. If it was the same number on sat then this would be on 192 students in total for 108 seats 

Archived