Premed 101 Forums

Do i have a shot?

Hi, i decided to apply to mcmaster and queens med school this year. I was just wondering if i could get some feedback as to what my chances are for mac. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.68

Mcat: 511, CARS 129 (Is this considered competitive?)

Casper: i though it went well. No regrets over any specific sections

I'm in the 2nd year of my Second UG. First undergrad was nursing (3.61gpa), Second undergrad biology, and psych. (3.88)

Thank you in advance.

On 10/26/2017 at 10:10 AM, medhopeful1192 said:

Hi, i decided to apply to mcmaster and queens med school this year. I was just wondering if i could get some feedback as to what my chances are for mac. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.68

Mcat: 511, CARS 129 (Is this considered competitive?)

Casper: i though it went well. No regrets over any specific sections

I'm in the 2nd year of my Second UG. First undergrad was nursing (3.61gpa), Second undergrad biology, and psych. (3.88)

Thank you in advance.

GPA is on the low side, but I would consider your CARS competitive. 

See attached image for stats on latest entering class for Mac: 

• 13 of 206 entrants had a GPA of 3.60 - 3.69. 
  • 52 of 206 entrants had a CARS score of 129

I imagine you already applied so no point in sweating about this anymore. And for Mac - it's a purely mathematical exercise in terms of who gets an interview: GPA, CARS and CASPer. If you do well on the CASPer, you might have a shot at the interview.

EDIT: Given the upwards trend in your 2nd undergrad, I would imagine this would improve your dossier and make it more favourable.

I had a GPA that was like a few hundredths higher and I got an interview.

I didn't necessarily feel good about the CASPer (I don't feel good about any test I write), but I answered every question and only ran out of time in the last couple of words for one answer. I answered truthfully, and avoided being wordy. 

So yes! There's a chance! I would say a better chance than most schools.

The beauty (and for some the bane existence) of Mac is that CARS, GPA, and CASPer are all weighted equally!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the spreadsheet @toronto_sam! It told me I have a 66% chance! 

My stats:

GPA: 3.83 (considering some courses I took before my current undergrad; if they look at my current GPA, it's 3.93)

CARS: 129

I'm exactly on the average from last year's class. 

Any thoughts? Do I have a chance too?

Would they consider my current GPA instead of my overall GPA at any point in the process?

Thanks!!

43 minutes ago, AVM said:

Thanks for the spreadsheet @toronto_sam! It told me I have a 66% chance! 

My stats:

GPA: 3.83 (considering some courses I took before my current undergrad; if they look at my current GPA, it's 3.93)

CARS: 129

I'm exactly on the average from last year's class. 

Any thoughts? Do I have a chance too?

Would they consider my current GPA instead of my overall GPA at any point in the process?

Thanks!!

I interviewed with 129 and 3.73, so I'd definitely say you have a chance if you do well on CASPer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived