Premed 101 Forums

Second undergraduate 2yr GPA

Hi guys,

Just had a question, so on the website it say "GPA consideration will be based only on the two best years of the second degree program.... Applicants who are given a conditional offer must complete all program requirements for the second degree by June 30th". Does this mean I can go ahead and apply with only my first year of my 2nd degree if it meets the GPA cutoff and get a conditional offer (if all goes well) depending on if i meet the cutoff for my 2nd year by June 30th?

Just want to be really sure this time round :S

thanks in advance!

Im pretty sure you need to have completed the requirements for a 4 year degree by june 30th. The 2nd degree GPA will only be considered if its a 4 year degree, which you could finish earlier than four years (overload+summer courses). But unfortunately if you have only done one year you wont likely be able to use the gpa from it :( 

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for replying. And yes I did but they are taking long to reply back :(

I was granted 60 credits towards my second degree from my first degree. So granted I finish a full course load in the first year of my second degree, I technically have finished my degree requirements. But since they say on their website they need 2 yrs from your second degree, couldn't I just aply after my 1st year and apply to western, while in the meantime doing an additional year which would count as my 2nd year and finish by June 30th granted I get a conditional offer?

Sorry I know I sound confusing. Just wanted another opinion! Thanks again!

On 11/1/2017 at 5:19 PM, luwi065 said:

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for replying. And yes I did but they are taking long to reply back :(

I was granted 60 credits towards my second degree from my first degree. So granted I finish a full course load in the first year of my second degree, I technically have finished my degree requirements. But since they say on their website they need 2 yrs from your second degree, couldn't I just aply after my 1st year and apply to western, while in the meantime doing an additional year which would count as my 2nd year and finish by June 30th granted I get a conditional offer?

Sorry I know I sound confusing. Just wanted another opinion! Thanks again!

in theory yes! but there are course load restrictions on your years as well that have to be meet (basically the school wants your 1st year to be like a third year and thus needs certain course loads - this isn't something they seem to full describe anywhere but has cropped up. The idea being you cannot just do two years with relatively easier courses as a result). 

So what exactly would you be taking course wise in that first year?

Hey rmorlan!

I was thinking since I would need to have 3 of 5 full or equivalent courses with a published academic level at third-year or above, I could take psychology and Kinesiology courses - with mainly 4th year courses (Since my 2nd degree is a health psychology degree). What are your thoughts? (greatly appreciate your input btw, means a lot!)

9 hours ago, luwi065 said:

Hey rmorlan!

I was thinking since I would need to have 3 of 5 full or equivalent courses with a published academic level at third-year or above, I could take psychology and Kinesiology courses - with mainly 4th year courses (Since my 2nd degree is a health psychology degree). What are your thoughts? (greatly appreciate your input btw, means a lot!)

that would work and can get you the average you need - you really need to be incredibly selective in your course choices, and really research them extensively. One of my degrees is in pysch and I had to check with people do determine if the course was suitable in advance/knew what I was getting into and could even prepare early for those courses. Essay courses can be a challenge to achieve high grades for instance but many courses are pretty reasonable as well.  

Spare no effort in being prepared basically, and make it count. If you do it will really help your chances, end up with a useful degree for a lot of thing (both pre and post getting into medical school for example) :)

Archived