Premed 101 Forums

Hi everyone! 

I really need some real and honest advice as this is really stressing me out. In my first year I  had an extremely extremely low gpa (this was actually due to some issues I had- a close family member had passed away and I was dealing with a lot of stuff at an emotional level) however I was able to get a pretty high gpa 3.9 my second year and right now I'm in my third year I'm doing pretty well and will most likely get a 3.9+. 

I'm studying really hard for my MCAT and will hopefully do really well! But will med schools looking at my 2 year gpa acknowledge the fact that my first year was immensely low. Also what med schools do u guys think I have a realistic chance of getting into! Since my cgpa is actually pretty low less than a 3.5. 

Also any recommendations or tips would be lovely from anyone! Thank you for any advice or motivation anyone gives me :)

I had a sort of similar situation to you in undergrad except maybe less pronounced (had a ~3.3 in first year, 3.87 in second year, and 3.9+ in 3rd and 4th year). My advice would be to keep on doing what you're doing. At the end of the day, some of the schools' GPA calculations will help you, but you may have to wait a bit before applying. They don't care what your GPA was in first year specifically, they only care about the number calculated using their formula (or your cGPA in the case of McMaster). You probably won't be competitive anywhere if you apply during 3rd year, but if you apply during 4th year or after taking a gap year, your 1st year GPA will not affect you much at Western, Queens, uOttawa, and U of T (not sure about schools outside of Ontario). What will be really key is doing well on the MCAT, especially CARS (will keep the door open for you at Mac and Western). Good luck and keep up the positive trend! 

1 hour ago, m_jacob_45 said:

I had a sort of similar situation to you in undergrad except maybe less pronounced (had a ~3.3 in first year, 3.87 in second year, and 3.9+ in 3rd and 4th year). My advice would be to keep on doing what you're doing. At the end of the day, some of the schools' GPA calculations will help you, but you may have to wait a bit before applying. They don't care what your GPA was in first year specifically, they only care about the number calculated using their formula (or your cGPA in the case of McMaster). You probably won't be competitive anywhere if you apply during 3rd year, but if you apply during 4th year or after taking a gap year, your 1st year GPA will not affect you much at Western, Queens, uOttawa, and U of T (not sure about schools outside of Ontario). What will be really key is doing well on the MCAT, especially CARS (will keep the door open for you at Mac and Western). Good luck and keep up the positive trend! 

As a question, why doesn't your first year GPA affect your chances at UT after taking a gap year? 

6 minutes ago, Olle said:

As a question, why doesn't your first year GPA affect your chances at UT after taking a gap year? 

good question - I guess if they are getting 3.9+ and do so for 5 years (which would include the gap year) then the  entire first year could be wiped, and since you are getting 3.9 in everything you GPA then would still stand on its own. Assumes the other rules for the TO policy apply of course :)

5 hours ago, mkd said:

Hi everyone! 

I really need some real and honest advice as this is really stressing me out. In my first year I  had an extremely extremely low gpa (this was actually due to some issues I had- a close family member had passed away and I was dealing with a lot of stuff at an emotional level) however I was able to get a pretty high gpa 3.9 my second year and right now I'm in my third year I'm doing pretty well and will most likely get a 3.9+. 

I'm studying really hard for my MCAT and will hopefully do really well! But will med schools looking at my 2 year gpa acknowledge the fact that my first year was immensely low. Also what med schools do u guys think I have a realistic chance of getting into! Since my cgpa is actually pretty low less than a 3.5. 

Also any recommendations or tips would be lovely from anyone! Thank you for any advice or motivation anyone gives me :)

ok to be clear the schools that look at your best or last two years will not acknowledge your low first year GPA. It would be as if that never happened, and you if you get an interview at those places also have to understand and act like that is true - because it will otherwise (as it is right now) be stressing you out. That is a distraction that could affect you even though it isn't even a real thing to worry about.